Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cars that have disappeared from our roads

SS Manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
You don't see many Nissan Bluebird's around these days

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I think all cars have a natural life span - some good and some not so good. If it had electrical problems - fail big time. Rust you could fix.

Sigma was just to thursty for a 4 banger.
Valiants just not that popular (we had them tho as they were big for 6 member family)

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
cordia turbos... they where trolling the streets for the cheap price then they realised a n/a commy would rip there ass in half :D
lol

Rodger Cordia has them all, thats why.....

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
Exas every where

I see a P76 all the time down at the shops, and saw 2 exas yesterday within 10 mins. a few lx uc toranas aswell.When was the last time that you saw a Leyland Marina.Rare as hens teeth.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think all cars have a natural life span - some good and some not so good. If it had electrical problems - fail big time. Rust you could fix.

Sigma was just to thursty for a 4 banger.
Valiants just not that popular (we had them tho as they were big for 6 member family)

I think that's right, Shane - everything has a use-by date and this is especially true of cars. Many of those built in the 70's, though, were bloody awful and lacked the appeal that some cars have, which makes them collectable. Most early Jap stuff, with the exception of the Datsun 1600 and RX-2, was pretty forgettable and nobody bothered to keep them in good condition as they aged. Their light weight construction also helped them shake to death on our crap roads. Old Holdens, Falcons and Valiants were tougher and had a loyal base of fans who saw the value in looking after them and keeping them long after many of their kind had gone to the graveyard.

Another couple of cars which you NEVER see on our roads these days, but which were everywhere in the 60's, were the Austin 1800 and the Morris 1100. I reckon there's a good chance many of the younger members on this forum have never even seen an 1100. Two more Leyland crackers - the Austin Kimberley and Tasman. They were failures (like most Leyland efforts after the Mini) in Australia and comparitively few were sold from 1969 to 1972. I can'r remember the last time I saw one of them but it was years ago.

jase-hsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
datsun 1600 were real popular only see the odd one now

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Another couple of cars which you NEVER see on our roads these days, but which were everywhere in the 60's, were the Austin 1800 and the Morris 1100. I reckon there's a good chance many of the younger members on this forum have never even seen an 1100.

It's funny you mention the Morris 1100 Calaber, we had one come in the workshop about 2 weeks ago, just for a service and a checkover. The girl that owns it, is 16, just got her L's and it's going to be her first car. I was quiet surprised to say the least, not just the fact that a Morris 1100 is still kicking but also for a 16 year old to want one as her first car...

Although, the original motor and box were gone and replaced with a Nissan 4 cylinder and 5 speed.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
haven't seen an ET turbo pulsar or TX3 turbo laser around for a long time, probably all blown up by now!