Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CAS Problem?

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
hello JC member's my mum's car shudders and engine sounds like it's churning on a bolt in crank or cam or somewhere in the engine that has moving part's when engine sometimes starts up when this happens it goes to stall without acceleration and some times dose stall i let the system check complete every start,

Now correct me if i am wrong here but that after a bit of research could be the CAS (Crank Angle Sensor) due to not sending correct info to ecu or no info to ecu on the banks of the pistons and the positions there in.
As the only error code to show up is power-train, i forgot the code number and i don't have the car currently so i cant get that yet,
it has been to a mech who said timing chains on its way out,

but here it come's: if the CAS is failing or has failed causing the bad starts and vibrating whole car could that also make ecu think timing chain as crank is on timing chain's?
This problem has started happening in last 6mts of use and is getting more frequent and hoping that i may be correct and could just have to replace CAS to fix it for a little bit until something else goes on this rubbish engine (07 Omega LE0 engine :( )

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
have you let the belt go and tried every pulley?

Start simple.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
all pulleys are fine no wobble or play to them what so ever and that cant make the engine start like a bag of bolts grinding and shaking the whole car its definitely internal and originating when crank moves pistons up and down, now it could be timing as the timing chain run's off the crank but im thinking and hoping its just a CAS. reading the CAS issues and what it dose to engine if it is stuffed seems like the cause as the only error code is powertrain no sensors come up when i check for errors also i should add that the check engine light is on but

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It sounds like coils mate. Far more common than a CAS problem on the VE.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
these are the things that are happening to her car:
#1 shaky vibrating start up
#2 throttle is reading that it is constantly on 17% without foot touching the peddle
#3 when peddle is pushed to floor gives faulty reading of only 86%
#4 lagging when accelerator peddle is pushed to accelerate
#5 speedometer jumps from 0 to 20kms then all in normal after that
#6 check engine light come on/off
thats why i think its a CAS/CPS and am wondering if it is that can it be also giving the power train code as timing chain runs off crank

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
bah that what my mech said was hoping for the best here and be a CAS/CPS as reading the CAS problems seems like what the car is doing and wondering if the CAS/CPS faults could it also be like a timing chain problem this car has had electrical issues in past, 3rd wiper stage freezes, headlights wont turn off auto (yes i know it springs back to auto on the dial but you can turn them off normally but hers wont for instance under car port auto turns on light when i turn it off they stay on until car is in light) alternator dose not charge battery enough sometimes though mech say the readings are normal from that

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
seems like to me the early VE's were a nightmare to deal with and that holden slaped any ol engine they could find in it with any ol electrical stuff like come on why is the battery in boot for so bad :( i might just take it off the road put a vy k frame some how to mount a 3.8l ik dash wont accept older pcm bcm ecu but stuff the ve dash ill put a vy one in to stich it up :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Might be worth a shot Brysha. I don't think it's too hard swapping one on the VE, unlike earlier models.