Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cast iron exhaust manifolds for VP V8?

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I'm pretty sure the VP 5L comes standard with cast iron manifolds and the VN comes with the tubulars. Others can confirm or deny this :D

I had a VN SS back in the 90's had it almost from new and it had the tubular stainless steel header type of manifolds on it, it was completely stock standard when I bought it, maybe the later V8's changed to the cast iron, but the VN V8 definitely had the stainless steel manifolds. Even shows a picture of them in the workshop manual.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Good to hear they're on and being well received!

G'day Matt.
I only wish wish wish I had gotten that matching y-pipe off you at the same time.
A - I didn't realise it was different to my header type y-pipe
B- I didn't realise it was stainless steel and therefore as good as new.
C- I didn't realise a new one costs the best part of $600. I mean, damn!

The exhaust place got a new y-pipe but the tapered end on the rhs one was malformed somehow and they couldn't stop it leaking so they made some kind of hybrid out the new lhs and my old rhs. Its only been on 3 days and its started to leak where the pipe goes on the manifold. Grrr! But they're a reputable place so I'm sure they will eventually fix it okay.

shreks vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ V8 statesman
i had 6 vn vq v8s in my time and they all had factory tubular ones

WNTDVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Stato & Evo VII.
G'day Matt.
I only wish wish wish I had gotten that matching y-pipe off you at the same time.
A - I didn't realise it was different to my header type y-pipe
B- I didn't realise it was stainless steel and therefore as good as new.
C- I didn't realise a new one costs the best part of $600. I mean, damn!

The exhaust place got a new y-pipe but the tapered end on the rhs one was malformed somehow and they couldn't stop it leaking so they made some kind of hybrid out the new lhs and my old rhs. Its only been on 3 days and its started to leak where the pipe goes on the manifold. Grrr! But they're a reputable place so I'm sure they will eventually fix it okay.
Yeah I never even realised there were different headers used between the models!

That seems like a crazy price for a simple y-pipe, bloody ripoff merchants! At least if they are a reputable place, then yeah, they'll get it all sorted for you i'm sure. At that price, they'd bloody well want to though!

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
FWIW the only change in power output was with HSV option including MEMCAL/CIA/Knock sensor and exhaust.

IMO cast headers will do the same job to any other extractor on the street, it would have been nice to get a before and after power figure but it maybe just that it is quieter as you said and it "feels" slower.

If you were racing then for sure buy the best extractors you can afford.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Maybe all the VN V8's had the tubulars because Holden were not tooled yet for the cast manifolds? According to the book Project VN the whole program was rushed.

GlobalV6launch_45.jpg

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Wot a luvverly picture!
And that book - I didn't know it existed so now I am going to get one.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Fantastic book with lots of lovely prototype photos and the whole story of the VN, for instance the first prototype vn interior was fitted to a falcon for evaluation purposes haha.