Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cast iron exhaust manifolds for VP V8?

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
The RHS tubular exhaust manifold on the VP is leaky, just the same as every other one in the country so it seems. Is there a cast manifold from another year/model that they could be replaced with? Assuming the the Y-pipe is different, would the different pipe go straight onto the existing cat or are there differences too? Is this problem covered in one of those sticky posts? Yeah, I should have looked but I had already typed this out...

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I'm pretty sure the VP 5L comes standard with cast iron manifolds and the VN comes with the tubulars. Others can confirm or deny this :D

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The VN series 1 V6 came with tubular manifolds, all V8's came with cast manifolds from factory.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
All VN V8's?
Righteo then.
What would you expect to pay in a wreckers?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Would you really want to do it cheap and have the risk of it doing it again? Or would you try find a cheap set of extractors? Just my 2 cents.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fast forward 1 month, the car now has cast iron manifolds instead of the leaky, tinny sounding tube ones.
They are SO much quieter because apart from now having absolutely no leaks, the cast iron is so much thicker than the tube and so no sound comes through the walls. As in, get a pen and tap the tubing and it goes "tink, tink" but tap the iron and it doesn't make any sound, only the plastic pen striking it does.

Now... here's a question - seeing early engines came out with tube manifolds and later ones cam out with cast ones, does anyone have manufactures spec for hp/kW of these two different engines. That is to say, is there any difference in power? The car kinda feels slower but I think that's because it is so much quieter my imagination is telling me this.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would say someone in the past has fitted HSV tubular manifolds to it. It never came from factory like that.

The HSV version had a few more kW due to the different manifolds, exhaust and a tune.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
It was a cop car in a former life. Would that make any difference?