Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Caster/ camber on vy

F

fattypomba

Hi all,
The daughter has now got a vy.
She took it to bob janes for a wheel alignment. The said the casters have no adjustment and they can not get the correct camber.
The car pulls to the left.
she also said the steering wheel is slightly tipping down to the left.
Bob janes said it is as good as you are gonna get it.
My question is do the caster bushes have an affect on the camber of the front end?????

If so she will just get them replaced and get the alignment do again.

Thanks............

MY03VYS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore S / SS
Worn castor bushes will have an affect on turn in camber, but I can't see it having too big of an affect on overall camber.

I would be thinking that like most cars in the VY sort of age, the strut top rubber bushes have compressed or are sagging and that could be having an affect on the camber. The best bet is to go with replacing the radius rod bushes, with some decent poly ones (SuperPro are best), and get yourself some RUBBER strut top bushes if you're looking to drive the car with comfort in mind. If she's lowering it and looking to be able to adjust camber then you're better to go with poly strut top bushes... BUT bear in mind these make the handling VERY rough.

Honestly though, for most cars driven on the street, even in the hunt for great handling, stick with castor correction bushes, rear radius rod bushes and rubber stock style strut top bushes/bearings. The stock rubber control arm bushes work quite well in factory form and really don't suffer much in terms of wear (unless radius rod bushes are flogged out completely causing excess movement) so really unless they're flogged out, leave them as rubber.

Part numbers in SuperPro form are-
Castor Bushes - SPF2339K
Rear Radius Rod Bushes - SPF0756K

I don't have a part number for the strut top bearing/bushes but these can be had on eBay cheap enough (about $65).

If you want to have a crack at doing them yourself, then talk to GSL Rallysports/Brakes Direct on here who sell the SuperPro stuff. The radius rod/caster bushes aren't really that hard to do.