Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 can i use it

Farqfords

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore 3.8
Is it ok to use Castrol EDGE 0W-40 Engine Oil in my 2004 vy ls1 manual 5.7ltr V8? As im doin oil change it has low KS only 110,000 on the clock

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It’s been discussed to death on these forums so using search and spending a little time reading those threads should answer your question. Or use Castro’s own site to recommend the best oil, which is Edge 5W30 A3/A4 for your LS1.

In any case the owners handbook would specify the recommended grade of oil (I thought it was in the 15W40 viscosity range).

Would i be using 0W40 oil, no as it’s too thin and would impact (lower) oil pressure in older engine designs (with wider clearances)...

Last edited:

Farqfords

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore 3.8
It’s been discussed to death on these forums so usin* search and spending a little time reading those threads should answer your question. Or use Castro’s own site to recommend the best oil, which is Edge 5W30 A3/A4 for your LS1.

In any case the owners handbook would specify the recommended grade of oil (I thought it was in the 15W40 viscosity range).

Would i be using 0W40 oil, no as it’s too thin and would impact (lower) oil pressure in older engine designs (with wider clearances)...
Thanks

bazagorokan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 CALAIS 2012, A6, 3.6
Is it ok to use Castrol EDGE 0W-40 Engine Oil in my 2004 vy ls1 manual 5.7ltr V8? As im doin oil change it has low KS only 110,000 on the clock
I use Penrite semi synthetic 10 / 40 diesel oil in my ls1, a lot of holden Adventra ls1 owners use it and recommend it.