Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Castrol edge

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Anyone here using Castrol Edge in your LS engine ?

Any thoughts ?

I am thinking of giving it a go...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
No ... but Way Back When, it was a better product than Mobil One. And that’s when Mobil One was a more trustworthy product than it is now.
I’d do it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I put it in my wife's car but never my Holden. It hasn't seized up yet.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I
Anyone here using Castrol Edge in your LS engine ?

Any thoughts ?

I am thinking of giving it a go...
I,ve always ran castrol oils(dad did), used to run magnatec in my Vr vy6 and Vs V8 and also in my Ls1's never a issue

Used edge for years in 6L engine used to run 10w60 in my L98's but changed to 5w30 with the L77 engine. Ls3 and cammed L98 I use 5w40.

Pulled a gfew apart for cam upgrades and nice clean engine inside

ratsmow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro
Running Edge 0w40 in my LS1, tech line told me it's there best oil. My engine likes it, quiet, maintains oil pressure even when driven hard and its PAO Ester based oil. Probably overkill but who cares.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I am looking at 5w-30
Not dexos 1 certified but it does not bother me...

ratsmow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro
Use that in wifeys VE sv6, we have a noisy ticking in the engine but it's not the oil causing it.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I thought you were a Penrite guy Ron? I used Edge for the first 100000km's, mainly 5w-40, ocassionaly 10w-60 in the early days, when I was outback, before summer holiday non stop drive to QLD, then oil change back to lighter weight, sometimes before the bags got unpacked (new car love!). Penrite makes the noisy bugger a touch quieter. But from a protection factor, who would know, apart from assuming PAO esters and zinc are good for engine health.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I might add that I used to use Silkolene pro ester in my last bike and that reduced engine chatter somewhat. Engine just felt nicer.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I thought you were a Penrite guy Ron? I used Edge for the first 100000km's, mainly 5w-40, ocassionaly 10w-60 in the early days, when I was outback, before summer holiday non stop drive to QLD, then oil change back to lighter weight, sometimes before the bags got unpacked (new car love!). Penrite makes the noisy bugger a touch quieter. But from a protection factor, who would know, apart from assuming PAO esters and zinc are good for engine health.
I ve been using Penrite for at least 10 yrs.
Just looking around to see what's out there as I dont wanna box myself in...if there is better stuff out there. I noticed lots of performance workshops/tuners use Castrol Edge so i was wondering what that was all about ;)