Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cat Upgrade

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Well im able to get my hands on a cheap Standard VU SS Full Exaust(including cat) for $150

Now i know the exaust pipes are off no use, But will the CAT be enough since my next upgrade will be a cat back.

So just wondering if the Cat and possibly anything else is worth keeping.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
anton1o said:
Well im able to get my hands on a cheap Standard VU SS Full Exaust(including cat) for $150

Now i know the exaust pipes are off no use, But will the CAT be enough since my next upgrade will be a cat back.

So just wondering if the Cat and possibly anything else is worth keeping.
Being a SS they run a twin cat system, so you can either run twin cats on your car (extra $$$) or sell the second cat off and recoup some money.
Sounds good to me!
AirStrike :air:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
1991_Vn2nV said:
The standard cat on VN's are fine for cat back 2.5 inch systems, as the internal diamter of the stock cat is 2.5" itself. Its not really worth upgrading the cat to a hi-flow unless the exhaust is larger than 2.5".
Why is that? You can have to identically sized cats that both flow totally different figures. The VN cats being a fairly early design (only the second commo to have em) dont flow all that well compared to a LS1 unit.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
AirStrike said:
Why is that? You can have to identically sized cats that both flow totally different figures. The VN cats being a fairly early design (only the second commo to have em) dont flow all that well compared to a LS1 unit.

But is it worth the money for slightly better flow? And 100% flow isnt the best combination either.

After 15+ years I wouldnt think the cat would b doing all that much anyway?

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Hrmm, so its not really worth it then for me to cut it up and try and sell off a 2nd cat for even 50$

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
1991_Vn2nV said:
But is it worth the money for slightly better flow? And 100% flow isnt the best combination either.

After 15+ years I wouldnt think the cat would b doing all that much anyway?
You summed it up correctly...........its doing nothing! That could be a $10,000 EPA fine, plus if all the guts have broken down the flow rate drops off.
Me personally would get it and get a twin into single exhaust system.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
AirStrike said:
You summed it up correctly...........its doing nothing! That could be a $10,000 EPA fine, plus if all the guts have broken down the flow rate drops off.
Me personally would get it and get a twin into single exhaust system.

The fine only stands if the cat is deliberately gutted or tampered with. So it would be risking a defect and small fine if anything. But Regency never tested my exhaust when I went through there.