Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Catalitic converter

Vp stocko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 1
How can you tell if your catalitic converter is stuffed, i have exesive fuel consumption, i use 250 kms to a full tank.. If thats not caused by stuffed cat... Wat could be the problem, also ive checked for fuel leaks and cand find any..

vn_wagon90

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Wagon
Sometimes if the CAT is stuffed the car wont go over a certain RPM and struggle to get to 80 ks and the car will run like crap (it happened to my VN and it was cat or tho i am having dramas again and i think it might be a cat problem again :S) but if not it could be a faulty MAP sensor, Oxygen sensor, and possible throttle body. Dude i hope this helps :)

Vp stocko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 1
It has alot of power in first then it just drops power when it changes from first then it struggles to keep up after that... The engine is running like **** and is shaking when in gear...

vn_wagon90

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Wagon
It has alot of power in first then it just drops power when it changes from first then it struggles to keep up after that... The engine is running like **** and is shaking when in gear...

Dude, By chance does the car seem like it is sucking to the max through the intake pipe, wants to go but it feels like the hand brake is on from about 60 ks ??

Last edited:

Vp stocko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 1
Sometimes its like when ur drivin a maual and ur in 3rd instead of second.. And sometimes i put my foot down from take off and it takes a while to pick up power

vn_wagon90

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Wagon
It sounds like you have the same problem as i have .. i get about 280 ks to a tank and its slugish as hell almost as if it was stuck in gear or handbrake is on and not responding as good as it did .. I am changing my convertor 2 morrow and i will let you know what the outcome is mate ..

vn_wagon90

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Wagon
It would depend on who you go to .. I have had a new one quoted at 350 fitted .. wreckers about 80 - 150 .. But i have one here i took of a wreck that i had that is 2 weeks old ..

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
u want to work your way thru parts one by one starting with most obvious..

bad fuel consumption and performance... so: injectors, ignition system (coils, spark plugs, leads), sensors (coolant temp, 02 sensor)

its a long slow process of elimination, but at least in the end you will have new and/or replaced parts

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
if the cat is blocking up the car will start to run hotter than normal specially under high load conditions. check ebay can get hi-flow 2.5 inch or 3 inch cats for 200 to 250.