Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do Manta systems and like others have said, they are probably the best sounding as they don't drone or have that raspy quality.

Two options, one with a rear resonator, deeper, quieter with ano drone at all. One without a rear resonator, not as deep, louder, but may drone a bit on an auto.

For the VS (I assume it's live axle being a Berlina) $320 shipped with the resonator, $270 shipped without.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Here's the manta 2 1/2 cat back with resi from naaf. Turn your speakers up.
http://youtu.be/m1xhd9IxWSA
Sounds better with a resi I think. And I love the noise when I back off the accelerator.

Can't go wrong

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Don't ruin a good story with the truth.

Mitch94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V6
thank you all for your input (im from the logan area of brissy btw)

hmm i like the idle and take off that a 2.5 redback gives, im after a tough idle and beasty sound, as opposed to a good quality sounding note

as for the resinator, probably not, call me weird but i like the drone, i reckon it sounds tougher for some reason, and louder is always better, whilst being within legal limits, are there any negative/positives on the car itself to do with a resi?

Also, does the type of exhaust tip change the sound note?

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
naaf would be more qualified to answer most of them.

im like u, never cared about the drone. in fact i cant tell the difference lmao. ppl always complaining and im like whattttt. so if u just want it loud and beasty go that system without a resi. i have no ressy and i like it. i could take a short vid on my phone for ya if u want.
i had a v8 5l redback 2.5 catback with a resi, and some dude i worked with thought it was a 6 with exhaust. i felt like michael jackson, little did he know i was packing heat where it counted ;)

oh and dont expect large or any for that matter changes in performance/economy etc.
i dont think any diff between resi and not, besides louder.
tip, yeh makes a bit of a difference and looks better.

all in all on ur standard car it is for aesthetic reasons not practical reasons.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The rear resonator just takes out drone and makes it quieter. The style of tip can make a slight difference to note, but hardly noticeable.

The only issue you may have without the resonator is the fact that the car came from the factory with two muffler boxes and needs to retain both to stay legal. Even though the noise may be under the limit, if the car came with two mufflers, it must have two mufflers. You can get away with getting a hotdog and cutting the ends off, removing the perforated tube and welding straight pipe through it. It then looks like a small resonator but is in fact just pipe.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
just throw a coby on it bro...

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
I bought a RedBack system for my VS years ago... it sounded good. I recently had a mate who fitted a new RedBack system to his and it sounds horrible.
Not quite sure what happened over the years... If I had to buy another system today it would be a Manta from Not An Abba Fan.

Its the best system you can get to make a 6 sound good.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
mate if ur gonna mod it, just buy an 8. a 6 will never satisfy u.
Where did he say the words faster or performance?
He wanted an exhaust that sounds nice not one that makes the most HP blah blah blah,

Well considering i was following your lead.....you thought that using that line was appropriate?
Sucked in, LOL

Hi guys, new to the forums and to commodores (not too cluey with car's)
any other suggestions on what next to do the commie?
OP, I would suggest a nice light window tint, keep it immaculately clean, SS or HSV mags from similar year or slightly later model Commy.
A little bit of lowering always look good too. not so low that the car becomes impractical though. I like the clear indicator lenses rather than the orange. And a SS kit would look cool if you can pick one up for a steal.

Good luck with your build mate.

aussie bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Exec S2
I've got a lukey cat back system no rear muffler on it doesn't drone at all at 110km I like the sound of it. Watched the video of the manta system and I didn't like it but each to there own.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
The rear resonator just takes out drone and makes it quieter. The style of tip can make a slight difference to note, but hardly noticeable.

The only issue you may have without the resonator is the fact that the car came from the factory with two muffler boxes and needs to retain both to stay legal. Even though the noise may be under the limit, if the car came with two mufflers, it must have two mufflers. You can get away with getting a hotdog and cutting the ends off, removing the perforated tube and welding straight pipe through it. It then looks like a small resonator but is in fact just pipe.

there are also some mufflers out there that are basically the same as a standard one and have the baffling but you can see straight through them.
same size and design on the outside as your standard muffler.

just a bit of side info really.