Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Catch Cans

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
hmm might try one out, did you guys pull your manifolds off to clean them out when you put the catch can in or did you just put it in?

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
hmm might try one out, did you guys pull your manifolds off to clean them out when you put the catch can in or did you just put it in?

I just wiped in as far as i could to clean the manifold, however mine was pretty much spotless anyway, i wiped the tb down the same way, was also pretty clean

GM GEN3

GM GEN3
Reaction score
Members Ride
legs ATM
Yeah I'm going to get one does any one have a picture of how it hooks up on to the ls1 motor i looked at some pic and a lot of them are different thanks

Ss666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Ls1
How hard are these to put in??? What benefits would come from a catch can? How much would a shop generally charge to put one in??

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Heaps easy to put on, benifits = clean manifold and smoother running/responsive (read link at top of page) as for the ls1 setup someone on here will prob have one fitted so im sure they can help you out

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I realise my engine isn't an LS engine.
But I found out on my first track day, that when I started the engine, after sitting in the pits following a track session, the engine would blow a heap of oil smoke out the exhaust for 20 seconds or so. Seems it had dragged a heap of oil into the intake. So before next track day I fitted up a catch can and there was no further oil burning problems. And it caught quite a bit of oil in the can, especially in the early couple of sessions where I was had it sitting above 6000rpm fairly regularly.

Some advice I will offer you from my experience, is a lot of so called catch cans are simply an empty oil can with a couple of pipe fittings. They won't do a proper job of seperating the oil, because there is nothing inside to catch the oil. A proper catch can/oil seperator will have some sort of baffling inside to catch the oil before it gets sucked back into the engine. I ended up buying a catch can with nothing inside (because I couldn't find a proper one), pulled it apart, fit a piece of aluminium plate (with several holes drilled in it to allow airflow) inside dividing it into 2 halves (inlet side and outlet). Then stuffed some stainless steel wool into the inlet side so it would catch the oil. Worked a treat.

GM GEN3

GM GEN3
Reaction score
Members Ride
legs ATM
catch can install

is this how it goes i found this pic

Attachments

• DSC09460.jpg
    DSC09460.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 988
  • DSC09463.jpg
    DSC09463.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 359

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
^^^ that is a vy on setup vt/vx LS1 have a different setup. Just thought i would let people know.

Last edited:

GM GEN3

GM GEN3
Reaction score
Members Ride
legs ATM
Does any one have a pic of the vx ls1 set up cos i couldn't find much