Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Catch cans

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Hop onto eBay australia and search elite engineering catch can. Should be $235. Otherwise just into their website.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
cheers Alex
They say LS1 will fit SV6 ?
Sorry noob Q lol.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
To try and answer questions in the posts above.
What type of steel wool to use inside the catch can, I don't know, I'm yet to get some for mine.

A catch can with a filter on top is illegal because it vents to atmosphere, the reasons, not sure, probably EPA crap...

A catch can is able to be fitted to any engine and any intake style, it just requires re-routing the breather/PCV line/s.

You can get the Elite Engineering Catch Can's from Tuff Car Parts on eBay, search Elite Engineering Catch Cans, Justin was very good to deal with!

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Ok guys, the first lot of pics are of the Elite Engineering Catch Can fitted to my SSV, the can was purchased from Justin at Tuff Car parts, $230ish delivered.
To make it fit I needed to use a few washer spacers to space out where it's been bolted to the motor, and also needed two 90degree adapters that screw into the side of the can, the kit comes with a straight one and a 90degree adapter.
Easy as to fit and looks great as you'll see in the pics.
P1011453-1.jpg

P1011454.jpg

P1011445-1.jpg

Now with the SIDI V6, I ran into a couple of issues.
First one was which breather line to connect the Catch Can too, there is one breather line that runs into the intake pipe, and another breather line that runs into the centre of the manifold.
After talking to Steve from Mace Engineering he recommended connecting the can to the breather line that runs to the centre of the manifold as the vacuum on this line is greater than the vacuum on the other breather line. If you look on the Camaro forums you'll notice most people use this breather line as well.

The other issue I ran into was using an el cheapo Catch Can, it's a Drift brand that I got from Autobarn for like $80. I am yet to put some sort of steel wool inside the can.
The issue that arose was the Catch Can did not have an air tight seal, so after fitting it the car would hunt at idle and until I can confirm it tomorrow, is the reason why I now have the engine light on.
I've since pulled the Catch Can apart and sealed it air tight, re-fitted and the car idles like normal.
I don't have the engine cover on the car at all, but if I wanted to fit it with the Catch Can installed I would just need to make a few modifications to the engine cover to get it to fit.
Here's how it's been done.
IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Done well Jim thank you.
Can I put the can where you put it on the ssv?

Last edited:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I put mine in the same spot as jim's ssv.

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
thanks for the write up! elite catch cans have only LSx applications, can it be fitted to an sidi the same way the drift catch can does?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I put mine in the same spot as jim's ssv.

2012-08-12-030.jpg

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
thanks for the write up! elite catch cans have only LSx applications, can it be fitted to an sidi the same way the drift catch can does?
The Elite Catch Can could be fitted to any motor, it was just made with brackets to suit certain models.
You can fit them anywhere there's room to mount it.

nickb1993

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6 ute
Bigjim is the catchcan on the sv6 on the pcv?
Cause others ive seen are run on the other line that runs from passangers side rocker cover the the intake pipe just womdering where is best to run it from and too