Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cause of ticking

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
So we're all aware of the Ecotec tick. I'm wondering if MACE has worked this one out, it has to be valve train related as my engine ticked from the get-go after a rebuild, which rules out bearings or worn components. This was very disappointing as the noise was a key motivator for a rebuild.

My thoughts are either not enough preload on the lifter due to short pushrods, or perhaps deteriorated or poor quality lifters. Are MACE lifters a solution to this? I believe MACE would have some insight to this engine specific question.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
To give you little insight maldotcom2, i got my lifters changed and it didn't stock the ticking. I've talked with Steve about this and he also said to me you could increase lifter crush by either longer pushrods or higher ratio roller rockers.

I'll be getting roller rockers soon (from 1.6 to 1.75) and I'll let you know if it stops it.

OFF-T: I haven't got around to an oil pressure check either Steve.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Does it tick with the belt off? The tensioner is known for ticking as well.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've replaced the lifters twice to no avail, once before the engine rebuild. So unless dodgy lifters are very common, it's not failing lifters. Ticks with roller rockers or without. It is not the timing chain as i'm running a double row with no tensioner and no balance shaft. Replaced idler pulleys and tensioner. I'm sure i've tried it without the belt but i'll try again.

The other thing i'm thinking is PCV valve. The tick isn't fast enough to be coming from every lifter, or every injector, so perhaps something to do with the rotation of the crank and associated pressures.

This ticking is what I think about in the shower, on the toilet, and before I go to sleep. :hmmm:

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
... right<?

brain scratch....

on rebuild was ALL individual journals on crank measured and given bearings to suit? if a generic set was fitted from a one or two off measurement skip to below (taking load off cylinder)

oil pressure check would be one (if light not on prbs ok)....

oil should not be anything redicuously thin, and noise should not change with temp(not go away if does live with it ts not worth chasing)....

if holding revs at say, 1500rpm removes noise likely an oil pressure OR lifter problem (higher pressure relief valve in oil pump will fix this)

taking load off cylinder;
if noise occurs at idle, unplug injectors one by one to take "load" off each cylinder eliminating internal noise(gudgeon pin on piston etc)if noise goes away concentrate on that cylinder..

apart from that... blancer seperated(at internal (behind rubber)? and clanging about, rare but happens....

a stethoscope would be a good investment for you maybe especially w/out a balance shaft as noise will echo more throughput motor, just check front and rear left and right and see where noise is loudest...

im busy as atm but if you answer these questions mace(steve?) or other should be able to help sort you out~!

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
All journals (mains and big end) were within spec for STD bearings, verified by a dummy assembly with plastigauge. Small end bearings were replaced and reamed to size. But I will try the injector idea, thanks for that!

Oils i've tried are 10W 40, 10W 50, 15W 60, 20W 60. I've got an oil pressure gauge, pressures at idle are 50PSI at the lowest, and normally 70 PSI cruising. The ticking exists through the rev range, but higher up it is too fast to notice. Very noticeable below 3000 RPM.

I used a brand new powerbond balancer and had the bottom end balanced with that on.

I'll try the injector idea, and with the belt off. I'll post back with results. Thanks guys!

BTW Steve thanks for the great service with those 130lb springs I rang about. The engine seems to be running better than with the 105lb.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok it makes the same noise without the belt, and disconnecting an injector just slowed the ticking due to the idle dropping slightly. I bought a stethoscope but I can hear the noise anywhere on the engine, it is at its loudest up near the manifold.

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
This is the same problem that i had tried heaps of things in the end it made it worse that's why im rebuilding another engine to put in.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It wouldn't be injector tick echoing in the cavernous plenum would it?