Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cb Radio's

S

SKiB

My father just purchased a VS Commodore Station wagon. (The sales man told him executive was top of the line).

Underneath the radio there is another bay, a small shelf. I wish to mount a CB radio in there, but I found that the plastic surround of that shelf is moulded to the entire facia.

A) Can it be removed or cut for use as a CB radio bay?
B) Is there anything immediately behind that shelf under the radio that would not allow anything to fit in there to be flush with the console?

Cheers

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Did the dealer tell your dad the V6 is faster than the V8 as well

about the B-Its a tight squeeze but its been done.
My friend has relocated the radio to where the spare bay is below and has the CB ontop of it.

Just a note that there is tons of wires now running through the back and it generates a lot of heat in summer and both units get a little too hot and have been be known to play up a bit.

In terms of flush, well I guess you could, but his definately isn't.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
im thinking of putting a uhf set in my car but need to figure a way of putting an antennea on the car without making the car look ugly.

as for the centre console as mine is an ex cop car im not sure but the radio they used must have fitted in there nicley cause the only thing missing is a 2cm section at the back where the antennea connection and power cable went through.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
As for the aerial, u can get similar ones to the mobile ones that are just this sticker type of thing that is stuck to the rear window. That or you could have the big pole like my dad has on his ute...

For the CB radio in the dash, you have to make sure the cb radio FITS into a din (the empty spot underneath the radio is a din) and if it does then there has to be a away of securing the radio to the bracket inside. Car cd players usually have screws holes on the side which a bracket is screwed onto.

Usually though, things like that are stored in the glovebox or underneath the passangers front dash. If you were to put it where you were thinking, the cables would definately get in the way of gear changing and the like.

J

Jaime S.

Hey SKiB,
You should go back to that dealer and call him a ********.
The Executive is NOT top-of-the-line, it's actually the base model.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not picking on Executive, I'd love a Mist Green VS Executive Series II V6 Wagon with Manual Transmission, MP3/Boombox & LS2 Mags.

The VS Series II Wagon range went like this;

Commodore Executive: V6 MT or AT, V8 MT or AT
Commodore Equipe: V6 AT (Limited Edition)
Commodore Esteem: V6 AT (Limited Edition)
Commodore Acclaim: V6 AT
Berlina: V6 MT or AT, V8 MT or AT

PS: If you want to know what colour your car is, check Colour Central and look for the VS Commodore section. Series II colours are clearly marked.

Cheers,
Jaime S.