Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CCTV - Shed

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Power backup is a good idea, a UPS is what you will want, might be worth holding off on it unless you think its likely, just wait until you have the cash for it if its not likely that they will cut power...

whenever I think of UPS I think of those massive jet engines and Cat diesel which ive installed at work :p
but im sure there would be smaller versions available.

just an idea.
solar panels.
use them to charge batteries.
theres the backup power.

unless of course, from my understandings it requires a much higher voltage and amperage then say 12v.

but yeah. id still recommend a back up supply because its just that little bit of extra protection

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
whenever I think of UPS I think of those massive jet engines and Cat diesel which ive installed at work :p
but im sure there would be smaller versions available.

just an idea.
solar panels.
use them to charge batteries.
theres the backup power.

unless of course, from my understandings it requires a much higher voltage and amperage then say 12v.

but yeah. id still recommend a back up supply because its just that little bit of extra protection

12v is all most systems use.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
For a good vision at night you've got 2 real choice, an infrared camera, or an extremely good Day/Night dedicated camera.

Infrared camera's a fairly good, and relatively cheap (Not saying they're dirt cheap). The problem with them because of the infrared lighting at night they're not as hidden, they get bright spots in the centre of the image due to that being the major location the infrared is pointed at, and they're viewing distance isn't that great.

A dedicated day/night camera is a much better choice, however, they're a little more expensive (Albeit, worth it). My father and I both personally use Bosch Day/Night camera's and have always found them to be fantastic. During periods of sufficient lighting, they will operate in colour. Once the lighting goes dim, they switch back to black and white and provide a fantastic picture.

That is just the camera alone. You will then also need a DVR of some sort to record the image onto a hard disk.

-=Edit=-

I also forgot to include the iPhone capability. Many of the modern DVR's being released have support for an iPhone App to remotely view the DVR. However, for that to work, you will then need a network connection at the DVR itself.

Last edited:

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
you can get IR cameras specifically for the distance you want to cover. this helps reduce the hot spot in the centre of the screen. motion detection recording can be both good and bad, i work in a monitoring centre with over 800 cameras feeding back to us and a lot of the footage recorded is trees blowing in the wind. i suppose youd notice fairly quickly if something happened so you could get around a months worth of recording from 3-4 cameras on a DVR with a tB or two HDD. run the cables internally and mount the camreas as high as you can and try not to leave things in the yard they could stand on to smash/remove/cover the camera. i've seen 6 cameras stolen in the last 4 months cause someone was able to climb up to cameras using a wheelie bin/dumpster and once its gone you have no footage of what they did afterwards, only before. you'll also need a sticker displayed warning that the area is under cctv suveillance.

I'd call a local security company to give you a quote and what they'd recommend you do, then work backwards from there. i've come across a heap of the dick smith/tandy/jaycar systems over the years and they arent really much chop. get a price for supply only, a few mates and a carton and it'd be installed in a few hours

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I bought elcheapo (70ea) wifi camera's off ebay, which just record .avi's to your harddrive (in hour blocks).

Whilst they aren't super high def, you'd be able to instantly know who was on the cam if they were already known to you (so, probably not a good idea to id a theif, although most cheap camera's couldn't do that)

Mine do have hotspots as you can see (you can even see the infared from one cam, in the disatance of another lol). It works for my setup, which was primarily because i couldn't hear the front door if there was any sort of noise on (TV, music etc). Secondary reason was for deliveries, to make sure they are dropped, and then not stolen (if its gone, theres no way to know if the guy even delivered it in the first place) as i order alot of Lego) :p
The top right cam is out in the open, so, gets rained on, and still works fine (they're sealed, but if has a cover on it)

My setup is basically my PC running 24/7, wired ethernet cables (in the roof) to a switch, and then into my modem.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
theres been some awesome feedback in here, really appreciate the input guys!

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Stealthy, can you provide a bit more info or a link to the ones you bought? They look good.

Can you get ones that record up to 12 hour blocks? 1 hour blocks is no good if someone steals something during the night/8+ hours you are sleeping and it records over the incriminating footage.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Stealthy, can you provide a bit more info or a link to the ones you bought? They look good.

Can you get ones that record up to 12 hour blocks? 1 hour blocks is no good if someone steals something during the night/8+ hours you are sleeping and it records over the incriminating footage.

The seller who i bought them off was good (i have 8, dad has 5) but my last one was missing a mount, and the seller is now non responsive.
These are the same type (they're generic cams, but i think they're identicle to the ones in his pic) Weatherproof Wifi Wireless Outdoor IP Camera Night Vision Free DDNS Security AU | eBay

I have a 2TB HD just for the cams, Each cam is about 4.5GB per day (24 one hour blocks for a day). Pretty sure (not totally though as i delete a different cam at a time) that i could go for almost 2 months before it started to record over itself, but i usually just delete the old month once i'm 2 weeks in to the new month, and sure nothing has happened that i need to go back to check. You can select it to record over the old footage if you like (i choose not to just in case) but either way you'd never miss anything.