Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CD Install [Heat Warning]

Jake Sullivan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SII Executive
Heya guys,

I'm running a VS and I've recently installed a CD player to replace the default radio. Now, the wiring, etc. is all done but I'm having some problems mounting the actually source unit - it's also generating alot of heat at the back and top of the unit, which is concerning to say the least.

I've used a universal bracket to mount it, but the wires at the back are stopping it from dropping all the way back - so it's sticking out about 2cms at the front. While I am able to fix this, I'm concerned about the heat that it's generating - and whether or not that heat could cause some serious damage (i.e. setting it on fire, etc.).

Does anyone have an easy resolution to the heat problems? It's like the actual unit isn't able to breathe at all - even while the car's in motion. I don't want to have to drill through the firewall until the Amp's are ready for installation.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
so u believe it to be getting sooo hot that it could set somthin alight????? lol if thats the case i would say cdplayer is ****ed lol

Jake Sullivan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SII Executive
Haha, not quite man.

It is getting hot, but the fact there's wires behind it is the concern in regards to the heat. The unit itself would never get hot enough to spark a light.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
nah i dont think it could set the wires on fire they also have heat resistance because they actually need it cause they get hot as well it should be fine i wouldnt worry about it to much

Jake Sullivan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SII Executive
Problem is, I only installed it like 3 days ago - at night - so it's just a dodge job as far as installation goes. I've only got eletrical tape running around the connections between wires. I'll do it properly, after I get paid tomorrow night.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
did u solder them at all???? cause my mate is a bit silly lol and just twisted and taped his together not very well i might ass hahaha lol solder i tell ppl please lol solder its not hard lol

Jake Sullivan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SII Executive
Nope. No soldering done at all. You still need to put tape over them after you solder it to stop them touching other wires and short-fusing the source unit. But I guess I should solder them.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
ohh yeah lol durrr i know hahaha but im just saying solder i dont use tape personnally i prefer heatshrink i think it works better and looks nicer not that anyone is gonna see it

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Aftermarket head units generally run quite hot. The power amplifiers give off a bit of heat, and they run much more power than most stock decks (eg 50w/ch is common on a aftermarket deck whereas stock deck is 15w/ch).

Also if it is genuinely faulty, and heating up more than it should I'd expect the unit to behave erratically before it burns your car down. eg. CDs will start skipping etc after extended usage or the deck will turn off etc.

Problem is, I only installed it like 3 days ago - at night

All good installs are done at 3 in the morning ;)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
CD Players do typically run hot like danja said, personally, dependant upon how its getting then I would not be concerned. Is it so hot you cant touch it or just hot that you can't hang onto it for long?

And like mentioned before, either solder your connections or use crimp terminals (Yes, I know everyone says crimp terminals are bad, but if they are ok for a boeing 747 they can't be that bad for a commodore if done properly.)