Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Center dashboard (binnacle) gauges

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6 speed
Does anyone know where I can possibly buy a gauge set like this?

JHPlhdGaugePack.JPG

JHP was one source but the gauges are no longer available, only the pod. These would have to be for a left hand drive US version GTO. Pretty sure the AUS versions are all designed as right hand drive. Absolutely no chance of finding one in the US unless you find one for sale used and you are first in line with cash in hand.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
That is the 'Kermit' style.

I recently bought this ..... https://jhp.com.au/shop/interior-ac...e-pods/holden-vy-sports-binnacle-instruments/ .......... which I have not fitted yet.(Yeah, I'm a bit slack there.)
The gauges are set square across the face, and are not angled towards RHD, so I don't know why they would not suit LHD.

This is the SAAS gauge pod, which is angled to RHD ........... https://www.autobarn.com.au/holden-vy-vz-commodore-gauge-pod

Have you contacted JHP direct with this question ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Can confirm. They are not angled. These will fit, but do require a suitable bezel.
I’ve not seen the Kermit style like that where it fits that style bezel.
6B813A2B-B432-465A-AF9D-131BD39EEC88.jpeg

FA1150E2-FBA9-418B-88D4-86F9268D266E.jpeg

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
That is the 'Kermit' style.

I recently bought this ..... https://jhp.com.au/shop/interior-ac...e-pods/holden-vy-sports-binnacle-instruments/ .......... which I have not fitted yet.(Yeah, I'm a bit slack there.)
The gauges are set square across the face, and are not angled towards RHD, so I don't know why they would not suit LHD.

This is the SAAS gauge pod, which is angled to RHD ........... https://www.autobarn.com.au/holden-vy-vz-commodore-gauge-pod

Have you contacted JHP direct with this question ?

I did email back and forth with Geoff recently. What started it was someone was selling the gauge set without a pod or wiring on ebay. I sent Geoff the link to the auction and he confirmed the gauge set was for a 2005 and it would need to be sent to them to reconfigure for use in my 2004. Makes sense since the 2005 GTO uses the CANBUS system and my 2004 would use a regular oil pressure sensor and wiring. So $400 for the pod, $380 for JHP to convert it, and the gauge pack ended up selling for $260... expensive endeavor for factory looking gauges.

I was holding out hope to find something available in Australia since there is about zero chance of finding factory look gauges here in the US. The recent eBay auction was the first I have seen in a long while. There are aftermarket options, but nothing I am jumping up and down for. JHP was making these kits back in 2006 but the high price deterred people. I regrettably didn't buy the gauges back then so I am hoping for redemption.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can confirm. They are not angled. These will fit, but do require a suitable bezel.
I’ve not seen the Kermit style like that where it fits that style bezel.
View attachment 216025
View attachment 216026
Yep, you can see the difference in the bezels. The US GTO one is different where the pod snaps into the bezel. I'm jealous of the electronic climate controls! Yep, I would love to have one of those gauge packs for my GTO.... the interior would be complete with it.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Edit to my previous post ............ after writing it, second thoughts, I had a look at the lift-out panel, and the RHD version is angled slightly to RHD, the edge closest to the vents is not 90 degrees, so the pod I referenced would not fit.
Our VYs had a slightly different console/facia to our VZs, but the GTOs all came with the lower spec VY console/facia.

JHP was one source but the gauges are no longer available, only the pod.
So why not get the pod ? and find out if JHP can supply gauges separately, although I have seen on line that gauges are more readily available, and cheaper, in US than Aus.
I got my gauges on 20 Oct after a bit of a delay caused by Melbourne's plague lockdown.

Edit edit ........ you covered all this while I was typing. :oops:

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Edit to my previous post ............ after writing it, second thoughts, I had a look at the lift-out panel, and the RHD version is angled slightly to RHD, the edge closest to the vents is not 90 degrees, so the pod I referenced would not fit.
Our VYs had a slightly different console/facia to our VZs, but the GTOs all came with the lower spec VY console/facia.

So why not get the pod ? and find out if JHP can supply gauges separately, although I have seen on line that gauges are more readily available, and cheaper, in US than Aus.
I got my gauges on 20 Oct after a bit of a delay caused by Melbourne's plague lockdown.

Geoff at JHP said the gauges were no longer available for the US spec GTOs, with my guess as to why being lack of interest because of cost. Yes, they are expensive but in my opinion, worth it. I can get the pod from JHP, but it is useless without those gauges.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if yours suits the VY style pod then u can just use any 52mm gauges, the one with the hump is for VZ, just mentioning cos ur in the VY section or is just saas doing a hump pod for the VY

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The ones with the flat top look way better. They can have any gauge fitted. Surely they (someone) do a left hand drive version?

Here’s one fitted up to a VY tonner.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Here is a (supposedly, bit suss) Pontiac GTO pod (from China) ....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193239304541 .......... and another .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Universal-Carbon-Fiber-Look-Car-Dash-2-Hole-Gauge-Meter-Mount-Holder-Pod-52mm/233772109094?fits=Model:GTO|Make:pontiac&ha

.......... which look to be the same shape as the VY, but not sure about the dimensions shown, they don't agree with what I have on my desk at present.
I would have thought that GTOs would have been a mirror image / shape to a VY.
Perhaps @WickedGoat can confirm that.

Last edited: