Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Center dashboard (binnacle) gauges

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6 speed
Here is a Pontiac GTO pod (from China) ....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193239304541 .......... and another .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Universal-Carbon-Fiber-Look-Car-Dash-2-Hole-Gauge-Meter-Mount-Holder-Pod-52mm/233772109094?fits=Model:GTO|Make:pontiac&ha

.......... which look to be the same shape as the VY, but not sure about the dimensions shown, they don't agree with what I have on my desk at present.
I would have thought that GTOs would have been a mirror image / shape to a VY.
Perhaps @WickedGoat can confirm that.

I have seen both of the ones you linked. They do not snap into place like the cover that is presently on the dash and they are both angled towards right hand drive, first one has it high lighted in yellow in the description.

As far as similarities to a VY or VZ, aside from moving the steering column to the left side, along with the pedals, and putting our gas tank in the trunk, and aesthetics, the Monaro and GTO are the same. Several guys over here have ordered Monaro or HSV parts and installed them on their GTOs. I ordered the 18" wheels in early 2005 before the 2005 cars hit the ports here in the US, and the wheels came with Monaro center caps!

The binnacle gauges were offered by JHP only. No way to get them in the US. As of today, there are 2 vendors that offer decent quality pods that you can install any aftermarket 52mm gauges in, but that is the deal, aftermarket look. I am trying to keep it looking factory. If I can't accomplish that, then I will reconsider.

Here is one example of a good pod...

https://www.maverickmancarbon.com/products/gto-center-dash-gator-pod

The gauges shown in the pod are aftermarket attempts at replicating the stock look. The pod texture and color match the stock plastics pretty good and it snaps into the dash and is pretty secure. It is my opinion that you guys have better looking stuff over here than we do in the US.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
The ones with the flat top look way better. They can have any gauge fitted. Surely they (someone) do a left hand drive version?

Here’s one fitted up to a VY tonner.

I could email them and ask if a LHD version or a straight facing one is possible for my GTO, wouldn't hurt.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Interior shot of my GTO...

20200623_105232_copy_800x600.jpg

20200623_105150_copy_800x600.jpg

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
US $249, (AUD $350) no gauges !! :eek: Geez ........... I thought we were being overcharged compared to US available stuff.
So GTO dash is mirror image.

Made in China pods, ........... No fit ? We make fit with hammer and screws. You like. No see difference from 100 yards.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got very lucky!!! Scored this on Ebay... I will have to send it to JHP to get converted for use in my 2004, and have red over lays swapped on. So happy to finally have them...

Screenshot_20201117-095750_eBay.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
[Deleted]

Last edited:

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Some comments for @WickedGoat (and others interested) about the JHP gauges in my VY Monaro.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-gauge-pod.284346/

I hope you have the same successful fitting, and I am curious as why the GTO should have 'that' piece of board cut out.

I will read your linked post later on, but to give you a quick idea about the cutting of the pad, based on what I have read on LS1GTO.com, there is a structural support underneath the pad that is different from what is in the Monaro, which may have something to do with the difference between left hand drive and right hand drive dashboards. Guys have installed the JHP pods and gauges without cutting but have found out that the added pressure that is placed on the gauge packs either damages them or the wire harness, and/or the pod won't sit flush on the dash. I plan to trim as little as possible.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
That bit of board is the same on RHD VY with climate control, as it is on LHD GTO with manual air con. The board is not on manual air con VYs or VZs.
Unexplained mystery of life, which in now in my past. :)

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
That bit of board is the same on RHD VY with climate control, as it is on LHD GTO with manual air con. The board is not on manual air con VYs or VZs.
Unexplained mystery of life, which in now in my past. :)
I read and replied to your thread.

I have been searching and reading past threads on the GTO forum about the pod and I do remember reading something about the dashboard and whether cutting would be necessary or not. I will go back and look for it and copy it here.