Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Center dashboard (binnacle) gauges

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6 speed
Ok, here are some screenshots of the GTO dash where the binnacle gauges go...
Screenshot_20201118-122244_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20201118-122254_Chrome.jpg
And here is a better explanation from someone who did the install...
Screenshot_20201118-122306_Chrome.jpg

And as I understand it in my recent searching, it is in JHP's instructions to make the cut(s) to the dash. How do the GTO dash pics compare to the Monaro?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
And as I understand it in my recent searching, it is in JHP's instructions to make the cut(s) to the dash. How do the GTO dash pics compare to the Monaro?

The VY climate control models have the same board.
The JHP gauges as supplied (no brand name on them) are held in place by screw rings which are threaded to the gauge. (I am not savvy enough to post photos), whereas other gauges (SAAS, Smiths) are held in by U-brackets which extend the depth of the gauge.
So, on what I have just fitted, there is plenty of room under the pod, and between the gauge body and the board for the wiring. Depends on the type of gauges you have, I would think.

Even though there are a number of threads on here about fitting gauges to VYs and VZs, I am surprised that no current members apart from @FuManchu and @07GTS have made comments.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6 speed
I scored a set on ebay last week...

Screenshot_20201117-095750_eBay.jpg

Next step is to send them off to JHP to convert them to work on the 2004 and to switch it to a red face. So happy to score a factory set. Very rare item over here in the US and when I received this past Friday, it was in fact the first time I seen them in person, ever.

I have an opinion question to ask... since the font on the gauges will be the 2005, 2006 style print, I have a couple of choices to make with regard to the instrument cluster. I can leave it alone and it will not match (my last choice). Or, I can send my cluster off to have a matching font 2005, 2006 overlay in red installed, and have the shift light activated, which would be my first choice. Or option #3, leave the blue on the gauges alone and have a blue face installed on my cluster which would then give me a unique blue on black with silver combination. Opinions?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
When I ordered mine, Geoff (JHP) told me that the colours were made to order, hence the bit of a delay (+ their Melbourne COVID restrictions).
My pod gauges differ slightly in colour and font, (no big concern to me) and the needle is in the centre, with full 270 degree sweep.
Like this style ....

SAAS Volt Gauge Black 52mm

Red CV8 clusters were matched with the red or black leather / exterior paint.
CV8s in 'Quicksilver' came with Anthracite (black) or Bermuda (blue) leather, and a Bermuda (blue) cluster, so as I have black leather and blue cluster, I am biased with the blue cluster option choice.