Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

central locking installation

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
ok, thanks
do you know the part number through JayCar for another one of the relays?

and if i am adding two relays, i would just put them both onto the alarm control module output for enigne immobilization?

i know you said that two wires from the relay go to the device which is being switched, and one wire goes to the alarm control module. where does teh fourth wire go?

thanks again

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
If you are using more than one relay, both the relays would use the one output from the module. This is the output for engine immobilisation.

The fourth wire goes to + 12v because the immobilisation output wire is grounded by the module when the relays must be triggered.

The cat number is SY4070 $6.20 each
This is SPDT 30A 12v Horn relay

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
ok.

ive decided that it will be easier to immobilize the ignition rather than the starter solenoid..... how to i go about finding the correct wire in the main wiring harness? or is there a better way?

any luck with the trunk release? the only thing i can think of is to extend the little metal rod that actually turns the lock, then weld a little arm on to it, to get more leverage from the solenoid....

there has got to be a better idea out there though....
really appreciate this by the way

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
i am going to buy a VK or VL boot lock from the wreckers cos thats probably the easiesy option for trunk release.

how does the trunk release in the alarm system work? can i run the wire fromt e alarm to the ositive side of the solenoid to operate trunk release from the alarm system?
thanks

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
The alarm module has a 12v trunk release output. This is used to trigger a relay. The relay will act as a switch for the boot solonoid.
So, the wire labelled boot release goes to one side of the coil of the relay, the other side of the relay goes to ground. The contacts of the relay are used to switch the boot solonoid.

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
ok... so if i am installing the boot release from JayCar, can i wire the trunk release from the alarm module to the switch i got in the JayCar kit?

the switch from the JayCar switch just completes the 12v path to the solenoid, so i figured that i can attach the trunk release wire to the inactive side of teh switch, so when i press the button for trunk release on the remote, it will be "completing the path" for 12v.... or does this not work?

any luck with where i can tap into the 12v ignition source?
cheers

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
ok, a relay is a switch, so you wire the relay contacts in PARALLEL with the switch with the kit. The relay is triggered by the boot release output from the alarm module.
A 12v source, you could possibly use the live side of the boot release switch, goes to pin 30 on the relay and pin 87 goes to the boot solonoid. It easiest to connect pin 87 to the dead side of the boot release switch. This will be electrically the same as connecting pin 87 to the solonoid.
The boot release wire coming from the alarm goes to either pin 85 or pin 86. the remaining pin of either pin 85 or 86 is connected to ground.

About your ACC. I generally use a multimeter and find a wire coming from the ignition switch that is at 12v when the ignition is on and DOESN'T fall to zero volts when the engine cranks.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
i was lucky i already had vk calais central locking installed along with my calais interior the only proplem i had was the passenger motor was rooted. i have a full stage 3 system alarm imob central locking keyless entry boot release etc i had mine put in by a professional installer so it came out great i just have to get the boot release hooked up to the remote now then ill be happy.

but i hope you dont have any more dramas with yours i no how annoying it can be.

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
so annoying when things dont work.....

hahaha

sorry to be a pain in the arse, but i dont understand why i have to use a relay....

i dont see why it is needed when the output from the alarm module for trunk relase gives out a +12v signal when used.... this 12v signal would be the same as pressing the switch for the boot release.... so, pressing the trunk release buton on the remote, and pressing the trunk release button in the car would be the same thing? or am i think way to simply?

thanks again....

BTW - what do i press on the alarm control to operate boot release?
BTW - thanks heaps for this

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
The boot release output from the alarm is only able to supply a small amount of current and the boot solonoid draws quite a bit.
These following values aren't correct and are probably far off the real values but they are just to get the point across.
The boot release output might be able to supply 50ma which is 0.05 amps. If any more is drawn, then the alarm might fry. The boot solonoid might draw, lets say, 5 amps. As you can see it would be drawing too much out of the alarm and can damage the alarm. A relay draws hardly anything and the boot trigger wire from the alarm will be able to operate the relay.
I am also told (Unsure of whether it is true) that the boot solonoid can preduce a large back EMF when connected and disconnected. This can also fry the alarm.
So, using a relay will be electrically isolating the alarm from the boot solonoid.

To operate the remote boot release, hold down the disarm button for a few a seconds and the boot will open.