Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Central Locking - keyless entry issues

andrewgrazier

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE 50th ANNIVERSARY
heya everyone

ive got a 98VT commodore and basically the car is unlocking itself.
At first i thoguht it was the key, so i started using the other spare key.

Ive used the key by pressing the button to unlock the car and it unlocks. I
Ive preseed the lock button to lock the car, and it locks.
But sometimes if you leave the car .. when you come back to it the dam thing is unlocked again!!!!

Ive also tryed deadlocking the doors, and it still opens itself !!!!!!!!!!!

of course it dosent do it every time. but its getting a lot more common.

ive replaced almost all the fuses in the dash ( because they were all like 9 years old n pretty dirty n crapy) hoping to solve the problem and yeah dosent look like it has.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
My first thought is a faulty BCM, I hope not as expensive. Does it only happen in one location? eg a neighbour may have the same "key" code as yours.

andrewgrazier

Reaction score
Members Ride
It happens everywhere really.
it happened at gfs place and happened at my house as well.

Yesterday i took the door apart, checked the connection from where the wires in the door plug into the car frame bit and everythin there looked in pretty good condition.
i sprayed WD 40 into the locking bit from the inside of the door as well after i took the door skin off as well.

so the BCM sits behind where the fuzes are?
if i get a new one of them i h ave to get the keys re done etc?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
just had a look at a diagram, it could be drivers door lock switch, BCM or remote receiver. Do all the doors unlock or just drivers? When you use the remote do all the doors unlock on one press or just drivers? If it is the BCM you will need the correct BCM, it is behind interior fuse panel above accelerator pedal. Holden will need to program it to "talk" to other computers and you will need new key heads. When the car is locked try putting the key in drivers door lock and only turn a tiny bit to see if switch is on the edge of adjustment.. Without being able to test it at the instant it unlocks itself it may be a matter of replacing parts until you fix it. I would start with drivers door switch as it is the cheapest. Someone else may have had this problem before so give holden a phone call. Your choice if you get them to repair it but IMO holden struggle with tricky electrical faults. good luck

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
it will probably be the wiring in the drivers door its pretty common for the witing to break in the flexible bit where it goes from the car to the door. its a fairly simple repair, just pull the harness out of the door & strip it open fix & insulate the broken wires.

Rob

andrewgrazier

Reaction score
Members Ride
i had a look there and its just that wiring looks well, brand new actually.

a fair bit of the door has been replaced because of a smash i had once. they had to re skin the door or somthing.

is it possible that theres water getting in there when it rains ??

it hasnt rained for a few days n its been locked.. hmmm
maybe ill silastic all over the dam thing

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
This problem is exactly what's happening with mine.

I remember a news piece in the late 90's that referenced VT commodore central locking. Apparently there was an issue with Commodores and some Falcons unlocking themselves when the car got to a certain temperature.

I like the idea of replacing the driver's door switch, as I have read elsewhere that when the window rubbers get old the water tends to get into the door solenoids and wiring.

It's more money I don't have, anyway you look at it.

andrewgrazier

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK, im starting to think that it might be water getting into somewhere of it, i duno where.
it hasnt rained for a while and my car has stayed locked!, so it rained last night, and i go back to my car and its UNLOCKED!!!.

ive locked it again but yeah.

having a car that dosent stay locked is pretty much useless. im gonna take it somewhere to get it looked at .

i know the bit of rubber that is at the end of the door , above where the handle is, isnt the best.
i also opened the door and checked to see if there was water around where the door connects to the frame of the car and it was dry.

roy38

Reaction score
Members Ride
thunder
Id be disablin the central lockin till ya sus it man i think you can just pull a fuse or relay.

andrewgrazier

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK well i am going to head into holden spare parts now n get a new door solenoid n some other part

$150 - new

i was like hmm its a bit expensive, but when ya consider i could loose a car worth $5000 for a 150 part im gonna not stuff around with second hand stuff