Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Central locking not working

bhagl1

Brendon
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 3.8L VS Ute
I installed a new sound system today and now my central locking doesnt want to work. When I push the lock button the lights flash as if its locked but it doesnt lock and same with unlock. When I lock it by key the drivers side door locks but the passengers does'nt. Any suggestions???

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
tried checking the fuses?

bhagl1

Brendon
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 3.8L VS Ute
yer i checked the fuses their fine.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you pulled the door trims off to fit new speakers its quite easy to jam one of the door lock knobs especially the drivers one. Check that each lock knob moves up or down.
Is the immobiliser unlocking (like can you start the car)?

bhagl1

Brendon
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 3.8L VS Ute
yer they go up and down. my cars starts up and is running fine.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Seeing as it happened with the new sound system you'll need to go back and check every connection you made when installing the new unit. Have you tried disconnecting the battery....sometimes this can reset things.

Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr ute
If you pulled the door trims off to fit new speakers its quite easy to jam one of the door lock knobs especially the drivers one. Check that each lock knob moves up or down.
Is the immobiliser unlocking (like can you start the car)?

Ahaa!! thanx bud, ill be checkin that one out, sounds like the symptoms of the prob i'm having.

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
(in responce to your post in the How To)

Not sure when they changed things like that, I know VR/VS, when you lock with key you turn to the left (about 45o and it springs back, then if you want to double lock, you do it the full 90o, I know my car is stuffed, with my drivers side, I can't lock the door with the car (but I can with the passenger side) and my back left lock doesn't work, have to do it myself (was told this is a common problem with that door)

Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr ute
just pulled the trim off, a few hassles but i got there, only to find that there isnt a central locking mechanism/wires etc..!!! grrrr. tried turning the key a full 90° and she wont go, only gets to 45 and feels as far as it will go but still doesnt engage full lock no matter what i do. oh well, my main mission was to suss out the c/locking, the other issue with unable to unlock from the inside etc can wait. a bonus was i got to see the type of speakers the previous owner put in, 6inch kenwoods. not bad but could do better. one thing i did find but not sure if its normal is like kind of a loose end of the rubber seal on the inside near the mechanism, investigated it and it isnt interfering with the lock so that isnt to blame. anyway, thanx for the replies, i'm sure i'll have something else to ask later on down the track.