Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Central Locking Problem

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by SteveB62, Nov 30, 2008.

1. SteveB62

SteveB62 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive Wagon
    I have noticed lately that my central locking is playing up. Some days when you hit the button on the key to open the doors, the drivers door does not completly unlock, you have to reach in through the back door and finish the job. Other days it is the passenger front door.
    Also sometimes when you close it, the lock does not go all the way down even though it has locked. Could it have something to do with the battery in the key? Any help appreciated.

2. fitz_vt

fitz_vt Pass Me A Wrench.....

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
    no this sounds like your actuators in your doors are sticking or the rods aren't properly in, they're fairly easy to fix with a Gregory's repair manual.

3. vx_ss_black

vx_ss_black phantom vx

Members Ride:
    vx ss
    i doubt it. all the key does is send the signal to the car to tell it to unlock, which the car must be recieving if it unlocks even partially. id say its your central locking system. might be a bit warn out.

4. pablo

pablo Donating member

Members Ride:
    Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
    Be nothing to do with the key remote battery, all that does is power the transmitter to send out a signal. The signal either gets there or it doesn't! and yours is getting there.
    Try spraying CRC or WD40 inside the door on the lock.

Pablo

5. fitz_vt

Members Ride:
    Um, the fact that it unlocks means that it is receiving a connection from the remote so its not the remote so in other words it has to be the actuators in the doors

6. lout

lout Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2
    Definately sounds like door actuator solenoid, very common fault,
    they do seem to act up more if car has been out in rain

7. SteveB62

SteveB62 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive Wagon
    Thank you all for your help, now without seeming too dumb, where abouts in the doors are the actuators? up near the latch? or near the handles?

8. fitz_vt

Members Ride:
    they are a black with a white or clear boot on them usually with rods comming out they are directly below the lock on the door (the best way to get to them is taking the trim off the door)

9. justinpiper

justinpiper New Member

Members Ride:
    VU ute S2 3.8 M5
    yeah my car had the same fault make sure you clean it before you spray it. I used electrical cleaner but you can use a rag or something. The best thing to use on the solenoid is graphite because it lasts way longer than wd40 or crc. If you don't want to use graphite use silicone spray. wd40 and crc attracts the dust which will keep making it play up after a while. I know because I work with solenoids everyday.

10. rplant

rplant New Member

Members Ride:
    2003 VY wagon
    central locking works, doesn't work, works, doesn't work

Just bought 2003 VY wagon (first Holden). The remote works maybe first 3 times I use it in the morning, then won't work for the rest of the day. Next morning, works a few times then doesn't. When it "doesn't", it beeps 5 times and I can hear the locks responding as if they're trying to work, but they don't.... suggestions greatly appreciated!

11. danny1987

danny1987 New Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore sedan
    mines doing the same did you ever find out what it was?

12. Sharkzz

Sharkzz New Member

Members Ride:
    VS auto wagon
    G'day fellas, My VS wagon does the same. drivers door is fine but all the others make up their own minds when they want to play ball. and they take turns at that LOL. I do have some success when I sit in the car with the remote and double click the door lock button, then reach over and lock the doors that don't lock. Double click the remote again, the lift up the locks that don't open, it seams to be a sequence thing. And it is correct that it is the actuators. Also check the arms to the locking button. my drivers side cam off and the connection lug broke. so I just cut the door trim away just above the arm rest, looks like crap and is a reall brstrd to get in and rig up, but the bailing wire holds it in place and I dont have to climb out the friggin window . So sit in the car, and give the lock/unlock a go and they all might play ball all at once. get em in sync the spray and pray.
    hope that helps.

13. Vid

Vid New Member

Members Ride:
    VY11 Berlina
    I thought I'd see if anyone else has similar issues as me with their central locking, it seems many people have problems with the actuators and I'm not sure if this is my problem to but here's what happens.
    about 2 years ago I started getting the "beeping" when locking as if a door was ajar (it wasn't) when this happened I would lock manually, it became increasing bad and ended up NEVER working from the button on the key, then about a year ago I got a new battery and nothing changed for a couple of days but all of a sudden the central locking started working perfectly again ! it operated perfectly for several months and then stuffed up again, when I had the car serviced they said my battery was defective and so I had it replaced under warranty, now the locking sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, it's driving me mad!!
    Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

p.s I've posted this in a few different places

14. kyalkk

kyalkk Donating Member

Members Ride:
    vt s pac
    i know this is a bit old, but i have a vt and the central locking goes off by its self and i can hear it ticking like it is trying to unlock the doors but they are already unlocked, any ideas?

15. deanvs

deanvs New Member

Members Ride:
    VS COMMODORE T5 MANUAL 3.8 ecotec
    tested the wires that go to driver side door Actuator I could lock n unlock with test light, same as locking unlocking the driver side manually cant lock driver's door with remote, all other doors lock n unlock fine, with remote,

1: ds door Actuator bugged ?
    2: bcm ?
    3: loose wire ?
    4: bad earth?

thanks Dean.

16. Brett Edwards

Brett Edwards New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
    Central locking on Drivers Side Door (VT Commodore 4 Door Sedan).

My lock sits up on the drivers side door and i have had this car stolen. I had it returned but have since had locks poped and have had to disable the vehicle ever time i park it. Has the central locking been damaged?

Is there anything I can do to adjust this. If you lock the door with the key it can still be opened by lifting the lock. Any thoughts?