Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Central Locking, Range is Very Short

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Exec 3.8L V6
hi all as some may know from my other threads i just installed cruise control and all is back together but the range of where the central locking will lock and unlock the door is significantly shorter i now have to place the key near the blinker or on the windscreen to get it to work where before it worked a few meters away.

any ideas how to solve this.

kind regards and thanks in advance
Al.;)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe the battery in the remote is due for replacement. Mine works from at least 10 metres, sometimes much further but my remote is only about 10 months old.

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Exec 3.8L V6
nahh it was workin well unitll the other day when i pulled the bcm apart and wired in the cruise control but now it works but not as good thinkin weather the extra wiring i got in around the bcm is interfeering.will sus it out and clear the wires away.

any other ideas any one.
al

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
myn only works from about 5m away at best and i got cruise control (standard though)

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Mine was working from about 3m away, replaced battery in remote and now its in 10 metre range. Worth replacing battery, only couple dollars and save you doing it later.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
yeah i sorta got the same problem. i have to stand like close to the car from the rear and press the button and even sometimes that dont even work. but it works ok from the front of the car just dont know why? its a new key only maybe 2months old i have cruise as standard but i recently got my windows tinted would this affect the range?

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
mines weird, some days i can get it working about 10m other days it doesnt work till im practicly clamering over my car with the remote.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Super Coach said:
yeah i sorta got the same problem. i have to stand like close to the car from the rear and press the button and even sometimes that dont even work. but it works ok from the front of the car just dont know why? its a new key only maybe 2months old i have cruise as standard but i recently got my windows tinted would this affect the range?

Dont worry tinting will not effect the central locking:bang:

monarols71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series11 Ute
Tinting WILL affect remotes if it is that metallic (mirror look) type stuff. Radio (RF) waves do not (or do if it's radar) like reflective surfaces. I could be wrong though.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
monarols71 said:
Tinting WILL affect remotes if it is that metallic (mirror look) type stuff. Radio (RF) waves do not (or do if it's radar) like reflective surfaces. I could be wrong though.

Lol, mate you cant say WILL and then end the sentence with I could be wrong though. Tint CAN make a difference, but it depends on the composition. Normal tint that is only a coloured plastic film wont make any difference. If the tint was coated with a fine layer of metal, that would slightly affect the remote. And if you know how to solder, I would be putting in a new battery anyway.