Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

central locking

jabba13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim 95
Hi i need to replace the central locking in my drivers door.
I was wondering when i get the new motor,can i use one out of a central locking kit or do i have to get one through holden, I asked at auto bahn and super cheap and they had no idea.
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS BT1 SS 5ltr original
You can just replace it with one that is the same.

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
dont bother with central locking by holden ive disconnected mine and the car feels better without that big fat ugly black key.

v1l3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Series III Ute + VZ SS Thunder
Id hit the wreckers up mate, Im having some issues with mine in my ute atm, but it seems they flog out eventually.
I fixed my mates ones in his ute and all that was wrong was the red tab on the door lock was not sitting properly and I removed the unit and gave it a bath in some wd40 and some silicon spray seem to function ok after that.

jabba13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim 95
thanks, one more question what is the easiest way to take off the door trim driver's side

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
give this a try>Removing Front Door Trim on VN - VS
Tools Needed
•250mm Shifter
•Medium Sized Flat Head Screwdriver
•Medium Sized Philips Head Screwdriver
•O-Ring Pick or Some Other Hooked Object
•Window Handle Remover

Other Material Needed
•Rag or Cloth

Removing the door trim isn't as hard as it looks. I must admit I almost drove myself nuts the first time especially trying to get the window winder off but having done it many times since I reckon I can safely say I have almost perfected it.

Anyway on with the How-To

1.Remove the door locking button - I find using an o-ring the easiest way in the world to accomplish this part. Insert the o-ring pick behind the red tab and gently pull back but not too much force otherwise it will break it and they do break very easily. I have found if you can get one side of the tab out that little bit further without breaking it the button will come off nicely otherwise attack it from the other side doing the same procedure and it will come off just as well. At times you may need to place a different object in the other side you aren't doing as they sometimes have a tendency to pop back in once you have a go at the other side.

2.Behind the door lock button you will find a phillips head screw with a washer on it, simply remove it being careful not to drop it down into the door. Once done it should look like a metal rod with a thread on it, if so head on to the next step.

3.Next is to try and get the metal clip off the window winder which can be easily removed by using a window winder remover tool available for about $2 or $3 from Super Cheap Auto Parts. If you prefer to do it the hard way use a hacksaw blade with some electrical tape around it so it doesn't damage the door trim and slide it into the small gap and push slowly until the clip flies off. I must warn you just about every time I do this they tend to very quick at springing off in different directions, just keep a close eye out for it.

Once the metal clip has come off simply grip the handle and bring it towards you and while your at it grab the spacer which usually sits behind the handle.

4.Now that the window winder has been removed it's time to remove the arm rest where the electrical mirror switch is. You will see like a plastic cover which is easily removed either using an o-ring pick or flat screwdriver. Once removed disconnect the electric mirror switch and remove the two phillipshead screws (one at the top and one at the bottom). Once done the arm rest should pull away without too much trouble.

* The next four steps are only applicable to the VR - VS.

5.On the VS there are 3 phillipshead screws located on the bottom which have to be removed using a screwdriver.

6.Removing the heating/cooling ducts is as simple as removing the transfer vent which is 1 phillips head screw. The transfer vent can be tricky to get out but don't go using too much force as it may break.

7.Now the next thing is to remove the vents, this can done with a flat screwdriver with a bit of cloth or rag wrapped around it to prevent any damage or at least minimise any damage as screw drivers can slip. Of course I use my favourite o-ring but use whatever you have access to. I have generally found you can get the left hand side out assuming your doing the drivers side. You have 2 lugs on each side of each vent so once one side is part way out either slide the screwdriver from the back to dislocate the other two or go from the front, I will leave that decision up to you.

8.Once the vents have been removed you have a futher 4 phillips head screws to remove.

9.Now the screws have been removed the outlet vent can be removed without too much trouble at all.

10.That's it, now it's a case of slowly pulling the door trim to the opposite side of the car doing a little bit of a time ensuring the trim comes away fairly evenly otherwise the chances of damaging the plastic lugs is very high.

11.Putting everything back together is reverse of what has been listed.