Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Central Locking

vangara

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevvy Lumina LTZ
Hi All

Looks like the central locking system on my car needs some lubrication, locking / unlocking is loud (and sluggish) and some times one the doors doesn’t lock at all causing the horn to go off . My other car is so silent and super fast in locking / unlocking that I have to check and confirm that it has really locked itself.
Is there a way we can lubricate the locking system without having to rip off the inner door panels?

Regards

Suresh Vangara

Last edited:

Ryley

VZSV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yes, you can unlock your doors, and you'll see the tabs come up with a little red plate, to let you know it's unlocked. Get a small screw driver and remove the red cap then pull the knob off, if it's sticking, you might be able to clean it from here without taking your door frame off.

vangara

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevvy Lumina LTZ
OK, thats great, thanks for the reply. Can I also spray-in some WD40 or Lithium-based grease from this opening, will it help?

Ryley

VZSV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Can't see why it wouldn't help!
It's also greased up, the rod.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Don't put WD40 on that plastic as it will cause decay: the plastic will loose its grip completely and you'll have no lock knob functionality unless you get a new one. Grease is not much better. Powdered graphite (one light puff) just down below the lower edge of the orange (or red) indicator tab will be sufficient lubrication. Many times, sluggish, partial or incorrect operation is caused by the solenoid on the way out. This is accessed by removing the door trip and inner cover and checking operation visually.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Pull the complete lock assembly and actuator out. Give the lock solenoid a good spray with Electical Contact Cleaner.
Or drive the car into a camel and claim the insurance!

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
"Or drive the car into a camel and claim the insurance!"
That one has my vote, I might do that to my car now too since it has the same problem 'here camel camel camel'

vangara

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevvy Lumina LTZ
thanks for the replies gentlemen, the camel idea is good but i will try to fix the issue first, thanks little red for the caution, i was going to pour lots of wd40 in there! azazeldeath i think you can also look for some kangaroos, all we have here is camels, lol.

Last edited:

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
"Or drive the car into a camel and claim the insurance!"
That one has my vote, I might do that to my car now too since it has the same problem 'here camel camel camel'

Thats how them single hump camels get two humps ya'know.

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Ah that makes sense. I am helping nature with its retarded one-hump-ness and improving it :p