Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

centre bearing on VZ

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Anyone know if the drive shaft centre bearing is the same part number across all V8 models? As in Sedan, Wagon, Ute and Adventra?
I can’t pick the difference visually.

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
I think they are different parts . When mine went I bought a genuine one of eBay and accidentally bought a Ute one and not a sedan, the mechanic ended up getting a reco tailshaft but gave them the new part to knock money off the cost. I agree they looked the same but the carrier/bracket is different.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmm
Ok thanks.
It’s hard to figure out which one to get. It’s for my Cross8. I might look for one for an SS Crewman maybe.
Holden aren’t too helpful because it’s a discontinued part.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I found some info that says it’s the same on Crewman as VB-VK. Hmm.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I found some info that says it’s the same on Crewman as VB-VK. Hmm.

Is it the centre bearing or C.V you're after? Not being disrespectful, but most people assume the centre bearing needs replacing, when in fact it is the C.V....The C.V is the part that has 6 allen key headed bolts holding it together and is quite often called the centre bearing...

A few years back, I enquired about part numbers for V8 VB to VK tailshaft C.V's and compared them to VN to VS C.V's and they were identical....So perhaps enquire at your local parts store part numbers for VB to VK C.V's (make sure you ask about the largest diametre one, which is 100Mm from memory) and compare it with yours....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's normally the rubber that cracks on the bearing that goes before the actual bearing.
The change in the bearing not CV was VT2.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It's normally the rubber that cracks on the bearing that goes before the actual bearing.
The change in the bearing not CV was VT2.

You're right....My mistake....The VZ didn't have this C.V, like the earlier Commodores...

Looking at the picture of a VZ tailshaft, I can't see even the centre bearing being identical to the early girls

VZ shaft

1645423751646.png

VB to VK tailshaft..The centre bearing looks thicker and the bracket is definately different

1645424038538.png

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pretty sure the actual bearing is the same VC - VT I

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm. I’ve asked Holden but they can’t tell.

It’s the centre bearing I’m after. I have to redo the rear boot on the drive shaft CV as some may know. So the whole shaft may as well come out to make this easier.
With parts getting hard to come by, I figure it would be good to have a spare on hand.

The one in there is good. No movement at all. It may have been replaced before. Some work has been done on the front drive shaft. I have to replace one boot on that as well.

I will use new rubber couplings.

The rear CV on it seems to use a VN VP drive shaft CV boot. That’s the only one I have found to replace what’s on there (thanks to some help from @figjam ) I have that and it matches up to the Cross8 boot and the one on my V6 VZ Crewman as well. CV Possibly the same as Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Territory.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Appreciate the ongoing reports on your Crewmans (Crewmen?), and I hope that I don't have to use all the info and how to's that you are digging up.