Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Centre console removal

chops

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Has anyone removed the centre console in their VE? I want to install the compartment with the spring loaded door below the radio in my SS-V to replace the empty hole that's there at the moment.

I presume I need to remove the gearstick surround, and it looks like there are no screws, so guessing just a 'pop-off', but dont want to force it. Also not sure if I need to remove anything else

Thanks

SSZ Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6
I don't suppose you have the part number for the door or any other bits that you need? I want to do the same thing for my SSV. From memory, the whole centre piece is just clipped in down each side. A firm pull up should do it!

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Ashtray Option!

Hi,

I have bought the ashtray/cigar lighter option for front and back. My requirement was for additional power outlets - GPS, mobile, kids' IPODs and DVD player.

The kit includes fitting instructions, though I have not got around to installation yet.

The instructions say to use a trim removal tool, and be very careful. It is correct that this bit of trim should "pop" out if correctly tickled.

If you want, I could copy the installation installation instructions for you, and post them here. Please advise.

chops

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I've since gone and tried to fit it, and yes, the centre piece does just lift out. There are three plugs that need to be disconnected, and they're on very short leads. I managed to get them out -

- Traction control - small insert needs to be pushed in so that plug is released
- Electric windows (White) - squeeze and pull
- Mirrors (Black) - squeeze and pull

Getting them out was hard enough, getting them back in again was a nightmare! If you can, get hold of someone with small hands!

I was trying to put in the compartment from a Calais, but before you go ahead yourself, a couple of warnings -

- The colour doesnt match! Once you put them close together you realise that the SSV dash is black, but the Calais door is more of a dark grey colour
- I just couldnt get it to fit properly. No matter what I tried, I couldnt get it to lock in and sit properly. Either I'm just useless, or they're not quite the same fit as the original.

I ended up leaving mine in there, as I wanted it to hide some cabling I've got in there. I dont need to open and close it, so the fact that it doesnt fit properly doesnt bother me too much. Although it's a shame it's not the right colour match, it's a damn sight better than the nest of cables that it's hiding!

I'd already installed by the time I saw your message, so didnt get a chance to note part numbers, sorry.

chops

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hi,

The kit includes fitting instructions, though I have not got around to installation yet.

The instructions say to use a trim removal tool, and be very careful. It is correct that this bit of trim should "pop" out if correctly tickled.

If you want, I could copy the installation installation instructions for you, and post them here. Please advise.

Thanks, I'd love to see the instructions to see if I can do a better job of fitting mine. I didnt need a tool to remove the centre piece around the gearstick, just gently prised a corner with a small screwdriver, then slid the screwdriver around the edge, lifting each of the clips in turn

kgb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
yay! exactly what i needed.

^_^

johnny_boi85

johnny_boi
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 3.8L 98 and VE Omega S1 3.6L 07
i really want to put a headunit down in the same place i really need to see those instructions but for sum reason i cant open the file can you repost it please