Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Centre muffler delete on V6?

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has done a center muffler delete on a v6 VE? I've seen a few youtube videos with it done on SS's and it seems to give a bit more burble and crackle.

I've been told by one exhaust shop that removing the center muffler makes 0 difference to the sound, another said that it makes them sound terrible.

Has anyone got personal experience with this? Preferably on a stock system or axleback system.

Thanks guys

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
With stock SV6 muffler's on the end, doubt it would make any change. Them mufflers just love to keep things silent no matter what you do lol

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
Hey mate,

Yeah. I've put a set of HSV bi-modals on the rear of mine just so I have a bit of volume control. More just trying to suss out if it'll make the car sound like utter crap or not!

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Ive never experience with Bi-modal mufflers. How do they sound? Did you have to wire them too?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I put this 2.5 inch center on my ssv and it made it crackle on downshift, it didn't crackle with the stock exhaust.

9v8okl.jpg

i had a set of rear muffler delete pipes on the stock exhaust and it didn't crackle but the drone was bad.
funny enough with that center on and the rear delete pipes there was almost no drone cruising at 80kmh or 100kmh and the crackle was loud but going up a hill the drone was bad and the wife complained so i put my 3inch manta rear mufflers back on and its too quiet imo but it does still crackle a bit with that center on.
now i am after bi modal mufflers off a vf or i might try those varex mufflers if i can find someone that does them in the bunbury area.

not sure what the 6 would sound like.

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
Ive never experience with Bi-modal mufflers. How do they sound? Did you have to wire them too?

I haven't wired them in yet, I'm thinking I'm going to get some pull solenoids and use that to close them. They work from vacuum, so when there's vacuum they are closed (forcing exhaust through the muffler)

Will get a video of how it sounds.

Last edited:

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
I put this 2.5 inch center on my ssv and it made it crackle on downshift, it didn't crackle with the stock exhaust.

9v8okl.jpg

i had a set of rear muffler delete pipes on the stock exhaust and it didn't crackle but the drone was bad.
funny enough with that center on and the rear delete pipes there was almost no drone cruising at 80kmh or 100kmh and the crackle was loud but going up a hill the drone was bad and the wife complained so i put my 3inch manta rear mufflers back on and its too quiet imo but it does still crackle a bit with that center on.
now i am after bi modal mufflers off a vf or i might try those varex mufflers if i can find someone that does them in the bunbury area.

not sure what the 6 would sound like.

Hey, thanks for the info!

So you had that center on with rear deletes and it was pretty bad?
Have you tried the same rear mufflers with and without the center? Just wondering if you compared as it would help me a bit!

I think I'm going to do it, I've got the car booked in to have the rear mufflers modified to have tips put on so I'll get it done then.

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
cabin noise with doors closed and windows up

Behind the car

So my current exhaust system is:
Stock "headers"/cats
Stock centre piece
Maloo Bi modal mufflers with tips cut off and re-welded

Please note I do have a pod filter.

My old 3" system (which I bought the car with) sounded like this
It was much louder than the current set up but droned so much on the highway - wasn't possible to have conversations in the car hence why I decided to replace it.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the 2.5inch center in the pic with the 2.5inch rear deletes sounded awesome to me but the wife didn't like the noise and the only drone was going up a hill doing about 60kmh anything above that speed was fine.

I had the 3inch manta mufflers on the stock center and it was very quiet almost silent when doing 100kmh and it never crackled on downshift
the center in the pic with the manta mufflers isn't as quiet as the stock center and it crackles a bit on downshift but its not a very loud crackle.

I still want the rear deletes because it made it sound awesome that's why I have to get bi modal mufflers so I can have it how I like and when the wife complains I can turn it off lol.

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
I still want the rear deletes because it made it sound awesome that's why I have to get bi modal mufflers so I can have it how I like and when the wife complains I can turn it off lol.

You'll probably want the varex ones then as I don't think the Hsv ones are as loud as a straight pipe should be.

I'll try and get a video to show the difference tomorrow.