Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CGI fire/flames in TV

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hey,

What do you guys think of the recent trend to use CGI fire/flames/explosions in TV series?

The other day I was watching NCIS LA, there was a fire fight with the various agents firing M4's. the bloody muzzle flashes were CGI and looked bloody terrible.

Another example would be on the Blacklist series which is airing in NZ ATM, in an early episode a terrorist puts an RPG into a helicopter but the CGI explosion and resulting fire just looked so bloody fake.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
unfortunately this is becoming the norm due to expense and safety reasons,they have slowly been introducing this over the years to get us accustomed to it,eventually it will mostly be cgi etc as the movies are due to the cost etc coming down,only thing we can do is not watch it or just put up with it,imo

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Most TV shows are 80% cgi when it comes to the sets etc any way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, I get the whole set thing, but it's getting real cheap if they can't even splash out and use some blanks. It only happens in some scenes. Seems to be those been done in a public environment. Scenes shot inside the gun range is still using either genuine ammo or blanks.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's at the point now where it's so much cheaper to just CGI something then have to do actually do it. No issues with insurance etc.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
The funny thing is People like Freddy Wong can do better special effects in his little office then most Hollywood places can .

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
should ask mythbusters to get involved.
they do know how to make a good 'spolsion seeing they used to work in that industry for the movies.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Yeah with blanks I think they just avoid it as much as they can due to safety reasons. I know someone nearly copped a bullet in one of the bond movies after an accident with using blanks.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah with blanks I think they just avoid it as much as they can due to safety reasons. I know someone nearly copped a bullet in one of the bond movies after an accident with using blanks.

Just look at Brendon Lee and what happened to him.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Hollywood can't even get a car scene right
Can't believe when you watch a big budget movie, all the huge effects, big name actors etc
Get to a car scene and it's blue screened, they don't even attempt to make it look real

Watch an Aussie movie on a string budget or an Aussie tv series and they stick the actors and camera in an actual car and drive it outside the studio..... not there's an idea....