Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chainging the colour of seats

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
I have some velour / vynil VK calais seats in good condition in the red/brown colour and want to change the colour to black.

I have used the vynil spray paint on the dash and door handles and that works well.

Has anyone dyed the fabric? What was the result and how did you do it?

I am going to test a spare damaged seat first. I was thinking clean with a high pressure sprayer. Let dry til damp. Mix up the fabric dye and apply with a spray bottle. Maybe 2-3 coats depending on results. Leave for an hour then rinse them off. Let dry. Spray the vynil compnents.

What do you reckon.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
My experience with black fabric dye is that it is best done with extremely hot water - preferably boiling the fabric in the dye to get a proper black, otherwise it turns out a kind of grey. And as far as I know you really need to rinse the dye out thoroughly, or you will end up with dye on whatever you sit on the seat with. I have never dyed seats though, sounds tricky.

Good luck with it.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I've always imagined the dye would make the fabric feel harsh
but I've never tried it, don't think I'd be game to!

but yeah, if you have something you can test the dye on first, that would be the go.

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
iv allwase wondered... if it was a stinking hot day and u were sweating would the die run?
or if it was raining and u were saturated would it run? just allwase wanted to know that haha.

i think itd be easier to get some tight covers stapled on

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
If the dye is not rinsed properly it will definitely run.

Best to take the seat fabric off before attempting to dye - IMO.