Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Change a Coolant temp sensor (V8)

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
This little baby tells the ECU what the engine temp is and plays a important
role in proper fuel delivery to the engine. a faulty one should set a code.
things you will need

*screwdrivers
*10mm spanner
*13mm spanner
*17mm spanner
*teflon tape
*wire brush (toothbrush size)
*new coolant temp sensor $17 from holden
*5ltr bottle of coolant (the same type that you have in the car already)

First remove the air filter housing to throtle body hose (and CAI if fitted)
and remove the throtle cable from throtle adjusting plate by unscrewing the screw closest to the throtle body (pic1) so it has slide onto the cable, then pull the cable away from the throtle body until you can exit the cable in the gap on the plate, remove the plate if desired via the three 10mm screws.
now remove the PCV valve to throtle body hose (the small hose that runs from the right side of the throtle body to the passenger side rocker cover)
by undoing the clamp (mine was a press and release type but the clamp may vary).
now remove the vacume hose thats located under the throtle body that runs to the other rocker cover, now remove the throtle body by undoing the two bolts on located at the top and one at the bottom, now remove it while still in your hand unclip the TPS (throtle position sensor) wiring plug located at the bottom of the throtle body then position it out of the way (be careful not to crack the throtle body gasket as you can reuse it because its not glued on) put a plastic bag or old rag in the exposed intake manifold hole.

now drain your coolant a bit by taking off the bottom radiator hose, let a bit drain out and re-attach the hose and clamp. ( you can combine a complete flush and renewal of hose etc.. with this procedure though its your porogative). now undo the heater hose in front of the sensor (pic2&3)
now some remaining coolant might run out so have a container ready. position the hose out of the way if you need more access also remove the bypass hose located right next to the heater hose also in pic 2. Put rags in these holes aswell, you now have access to the coolant temp sensor.

Unclip the sensor wiring connector by slipping of the wire clip, then position it out of the way, now use a 17mm closed end spanner and remove the sensor, grab you new unit and thread a little teflon tape over the thread closest to the front so none gets loose and goes floating through the system.
and attach it securely (don`t over tighten) and refit the wire plug and then from here its reverse of removal. if you wan`t find the coolant temp sender (gauge) located next to this one but under the inlet manifold more and slide the one wire connecter off of it and and clean it up the connecter with a wire brush and replace just while your there.
Make sure to fit all hose clamps securly and to ajust the throtle cable right
also replace the coolant level properly and check the areas regualy for the first few days for leaks.
hope this helps
any Q`s just ask.
PIC 4 shows old and new sensors side by side.

Attachments

• Picture 014 (Large).jpg
    Picture 014 (Large).jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 10,376
  • Picture 016 (Large).jpg
    Picture 016 (Large).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 24,849
  • Picture 015 (Large).jpg
    Picture 015 (Large).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 12,810
  • Picture 017 (Large).jpg
    Picture 017 (Large).jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 10,497
Last edited:

Brett

Legend
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Great write up mate, cheers.

I just did this and acouple extra things i did and noticed were:-
My new and old sensors were 19mm.
I disconnected the battery.
Disconnected both little heater pipes and moved them totally out of the way for better access.
I tested the voltage at the plug by reconnecting the battery and turning the ignition to "ON" it should be about 5 volts, i wiggled and moved the wires around while doing this just to make sure theres no breaks in the wiring. Which can be the actual problem.
The part number from Holden is 92017805 which cost $19.75. Autobarn wanted $35 plus $10 delivery, screw that.

96calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs calais series 1
just replaced my coolant temp sensor, I've tested for 5volts on the plug and I'm only getting milivolts when the ignition is on. Does the 5v only come on when engine starts? I'm thinking the cable harness has gone high resistance due to heat or it has a broken wire. Where does the 3 wires come from does anyone know so I can require if possible