Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change digital display kms to miles

Smithy0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014
I have imported my VF to the UK and am trying to find out how to change the digital display that's in Kilometres to Miles?
Any help in this would be greatly appreciated
TIA

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Its probably easier to get the UK to change to full metric...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It's not a user selectable setting within MyLink configuration as such. I'd guess it requires flipping a bit somewhere, possibly within the instrument cluster firmware, something that is possibly done on the Holden manufacturing line when things are programed.

Maybe have a chat to the UK bods that imported, sold or serviced the vauxhall vxr8 gts. Either they would know what needs to be updated or be able to put you in contact with someone that can help.

Other than that, there is one forum member that plays with the modules within our VF's, his handle is @TazzI of Envyous Customs. He could possible indicate whether such non factory mods are possible.

Other than that, you're on your own o_O

Last edited:

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
What about the actual speedo? Would it easier to source a Chevy SS cluster and reprogram the odometer?

Or are you talking about the HUD that displays on the windscreen?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
What about the actual speedo? Would it easier to source a Chevy SS cluster and reprogram the odometer?

Or are you talking about the HUD that displays on the windscreen?
Was thinking the same way. The US is mph, the way it should be (!), so may be more practical to get hold of a new spare from the US or a wrecked car.
eBay.com may be a starting point?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ OP wanted the digital display in miles so he could mean either the DIC or the HUD or both.

Whether both the DIC (cluster) module and the HUD module are sent (or fetch) a speed signal from the BCM/ECU/ABS module (or whatever module collects speed signal data) I don’t know. Whether the speed signal reading is sent or fetched and then convert it to either kms or miles within each module, again I don’t know. It could be that the module which collects the speed signal data calculates either kph or mph before it sends i5 down GLAM, so this module may need its firmware updated.

Vauxhall in the UK should know these things but likley they wouldn’t give two hoots about helping as OP didn’t buy their product. Vauxhall will not want to support OP and others that side step their products and denying them their profit by people importing their own.

What I do know is that GM codes many of the vehicle modules using your VIN number as a security measure. The features can be activated within the module only if defined in a GM database against your VIN so the GM diagnostics equipment (and thus dealers) can’t get around the limits imposed by GM. As such you can’t install features your specific car didn’t come with.

Oddly in the USofA, I believe you can purchase the codes to enable some features and this gets written into the GM database against your VIN. No such luck down under. So you need to find someone to programing or reprogramming your module via hacking the firmware. I believe @TazzI does such hacking...

So a new or used Chevy cluster will still need to be programmed to the OPs car which if a dealer did it, it may loose some of its Chevy unique features.

I’m happy to be corrected if I’ve misunderstood the limits imposed by the GM design.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I have imported my VF to the UK and am trying to find out how to change the digital display that's in Kilometres to Miles?
Any help in this would be greatly appreciated
TIA
Custom reprogramming is required to change the units from kilometers to miles. :)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I think the bcm or ecu will need to be reprogrammed because the cluster acts as a display.

For instance the odometer is not calculated in the cluster its just displayed there so you could take a cluster from a new vehicle with 50km on it and put it into one with 100,000km on it and as soon as the gmlan initializes with the cluster it will display the vehicles correct odo value(100,000km).
The cluster does store the last value read from the gmlan until the gmlan updates it with a new value.

You could get a cluster from a wrecked vf in the usa and program your vin into its eeprom so it works in your vehicle but it might be an expensive test to find out that it might not display in mph.

You can find info about the eeprom programming here
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/mylink-vin-eeprom.266357/#post-2917162

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom reprogramming is required to change the units from kilometers to miles. :)
Throw us a bone Tassi, what needs to change where?

Which module collects speed/distance data? Is such data collected from brake sensors at each wheel or from gearbox output shaft. Where is this rotational data converted to mph or kph?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
So a new or used Chevy cluster will still need to be programmed to the OPs car which if a dealer did it, it may loose some of its Chevy unique features.

A dealer won't be able to do it - SPS software will show a hardware mismatch as the part number won't match what the vehicle is built with. The only option dealers have is to program original software into original part number matching hardware - as Tazzi has mentioned it's custom only.