Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

change ecu.. change memcal..?? fault finding

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi having problems with my VR V8 cutting out and not restarting r.e my other thread

Im going through a process of elimination trying new parts and new sensors etc

My question is, im going to try a new ecu in it, should i get a new memcal as well or should i use the memcal out of the ecu im taking out? does the memcal control the fuel pump turning on and off?

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
There are so many other things that are a million times more likely than either the ECU or memcal causing problems. As far as I know, the memcal only stores information like shift points, timing and air fuel mixture information for the ecu rather than actively controlling components like the fuel pump.

Not 100% though..

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
thanks vee-ard
Hopefully delcowizzid or foam will be able to tell us about the memcal.

Im running out if ideas to try with my vr, the ecu is kind of the last straw ive changed just about every other sensor on the car and gone over all the wiring so many times ive lost count.
This is kind of the last attempt before i spend big and let the auto elecs at it.
I dont like to admit defeat normally there isnt much i cant fix when it comes to cars but this has really got me puzzled.

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
My stato was doing similiar mainly was good when moving but when I stopped it would idle down and stall, Turned out to be the alternater I was dropping below 10 Volts and you need 10 to feed the injectors. Battery was charging OK and everything else was good just didn't supply enough power at idle.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
The memcal is the bit that tells the rest of the computer what type of car it's running.