Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change ECU - Sorting fact from fiction

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi All,

Just about finished the go fast bits on our VZ ute project (Manual LS1). This includes a new ECU from LS Extreme programmed to the vehicle vin. In theory everything should match up and I just need to link all the nerd bits of the ute together.

I have trolled through JC and the rest of Dr Google seeking wisdom so that I can be prepared. To summarise, I picked up that a 4 digit security code is required in order to link the BCM and PIM (both original so should be good) and the PIM to the ECU. Once the code is sourced you plug in a Tech 2 or equivalent and link it all up, turn the key and drive off into the sunset!

The code I have been advised is available from our local Holden dealer for a small charge.

So I have lined up a Snapon tool and a mechanic for this weekend and I get in touch with my local Holden Service Centre (by email as we are rural) and provide them with the rego papers (VIN & proof of ownership etc). Low and behold they tell me there is no such code. The received message:

There’s no link code.You link it through the tech 2, if you need any assistance Please give us a call tomorrow between 8 am to 4pm.

I will call them first thing tomorrow; however, before I do it would be great to be armed with some wisdom from this site so I don't come across as a total idiot.

Can anyone tell me what is fact and what is fiction from the information I have been given.

Too far for a bloke to come on his day off just to head back home because I don't have the codes (if I need them).

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Go to Holden. Or do this via email, Pay to get a copy of the build sheet for your car. (Yes, no one should have to pay, but it is what it is.)
It should have everything. I am only guessing it will also contain the 4 digit security code for your car.

Someone else should be able to tell us if they are available digitally.

They are a cool thing to have anyway.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks Fu,

thats exactly what I requested and received the reply outlined above. I made it clear that I was happy to part with some beer sheckles - still no interest. I will try in the morning and post what I get back from Holden and again how we fare on the weekend.

Cheers n Beers Jolls

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Try calling them instead of emailing.
Get put through to parts.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Its funny - I called parts first and was sent through to the servie manager . A bit of a round about!

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s the parts person who will dig around in the system for the info.

A service manager will go to them for it.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Fu,

Thanks for the heads up. I will be calling this morning to speak to the local Holden Dealer who has given me the run around. I am certainly glad I followed this up and appreciate the advice and direction you have provided. In the background I spent the evening head down in the service manual and I have the relevant information to poke the local holden bureauocracy in the eyes.

For anyone following this thread in the future the information below was been extracted from Holden's own manual.

BCM Link to ECM/PCM/PIM

It is only possible to perform the BCM Link procedure after TIS approval (Enable Programming) and the (BCM) Security Code
have been obtained. The (BCM) security code information is contained on the IMPORTANT SECURITY INFORMATION card issued with the vehicle when new. (or from Holden if you don't have it)

The code is required after replacement of a BCM, PCM, ECM or PIM to allow the replaced module to be linked with the other modules.
The security information relevant to the current vehicle fit for the following items can also be accessed using Tech 2:
• Radio PIN Number,
• TIS Hardware Key Number, and
• Mechanical Key Number.
Program
The Program function also allows:
• The Radio Pin Number to be changed if the audio system head unit has been replaced,
• The Door Key number to be changed if door locks have been replaced, and
• The programming of a new key.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I contacted Holden this morning and, after pointing out the paragraph if their own manual referencing a security code for the BCM, the light bulb went on at their end. They provided a printout of the required information at no cost. Despite speaking to them and discussing a printout showing all of the build data all i received was the security info - BCM serial number and security code, car key number, immobiliser security code and radio serial number and code.

We can but try - next time I am in town I will visit in person and see if I can get all of the build data.

I will provide an update on how we go on the weekend.

Cheers n Beers
Craig

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Unfortunately I couldnt get the sopanner turner and his scan tool on site over the weekend. More to follow once we can coordinate another opportunitty.