Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change engine oil soon

Sukumar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6
Hi guys
Can someone help me pls.
My car was due for second service after reaching100000kms. But I have not done for few months and now it's 103250kms.
Today I got message change engine oil soon which am not sure what to do.
Is it something very serious that I should be doing as early as possible???
I got a trip to go for 2-3hours drive. Am worried can I still go to trip & after coming back is that fine to change oil or service.
Please help me

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Don’t stress, nothing is about to break, it’s simply a reminder that service is due in 1000kms but doesn’t consider time since last service, only kms travelled.

The GM Oil Life System on Aussie cars counts down 14,000kms from when it was last reset (at last service). It pops up a “change engine oil soon” service message when the counter hits zero. It’s rather different from the smarter GM Oil Life System on US carsthat is more of a condition based system, unlike our dumb counter based system.

The GM Oil Life System Resetting procedure is within the beginning part of the VF workshop manual (under General Information - Maintenance and Lubrication).

Anyway to reset the counter without a service (OBD) tool, switch on the ignition and depress and release the accelerator pedal three times.

But it’s better to arrange a service be done rather than simply reset the counter now without doing a service.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Second service at 100k? or should that be 10K?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Second service at 100k? or should that be 10K?
OP clearly states he was due for a 100k km service which is currently overdue as he has done 103,250 kms. Thus it's safe to assume he references services from when he bought the car and the 100k service was the second he was to have done on his pride and joy.

@Sukumar, normal usage VF commodore service is done periodically at 9 month or 15,000km intervals, which ever comes first. Do note that Holden allows the interval to extend by 90 days or 3,000kms without impacting onces warranty (specified in caped price service info). Doubt you should be concerned about warranty since you've passed that magic 100,000kms mark where it normally ends.

Also note that Holden requires more servicing at shorter intervals for heavy usage scenarios. Gotta love how Holden specifies shorter servicing intervals for some use cases but doesn't really allow longer intervals for infrequent low usage scenarios. Seems they simply want a minimum income stream and use threats of warranty forfeit to encourage it.

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
OP clearly states he was due for a 100k km service which is currently overdue as he has done 103,250 kms. Thus it's safe to assume he references services from when he bought the car and the 100k service was the second he was to have done on his pride and joy.

@Sukumar, normal usage VF commodore service is done periodically at 9 month or 15,000km intervals, which ever comes first. Do note that Holden allows the interval to extend by 90 days or 3,000kms without impacting onces warranty (specified in caped price service info). Doubt you should be concerned about warranty since you've passed that magic 100,000kms mark where it normally ends.

Also note that Holden requires more servicing at shorter intervals for heavy usage scenarios. Gotta love how Holden specifies shorter servicing intervals for some use cases but doesn't really allow longer intervals for infrequent low usage scenarios. Seems they simply want a minimum income stream and use threats of warranty forfeit to encourage it.

You are assuming he got the car second hand.

As for the Holden servicing. I think all manufactures hide the fact you need to service your vehicle more frequently for short trips. They don't want the running costs to be too high for the purchaser. The infrequent low usage scenarios are covered by the 9 month limit. They do allow that to extend to 12 months but you'll be caught on the next service as it it will be 9 months from the service limit. I know that because my car was serviced on the year limit and next service deadline will be 9 months after that date. The same for my SS but I service that in between with my own mechanic.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
You are assuming he got the car second hand.
Which is why I said “safe to assume”. Yes it’s an assumption but I think based on what was said, it’s a safe assumption to make.
...The infrequent low usage scenarios are covered by the 9 month limit.
Guess we have a differing opinion on this one.

With today’s engine coolant being ok for 5 or 10 years depending on chemistry, engine oil having a package shelf life of 5 years (but in reality being ok within an engine for at least this time according to a manufacturer I recently spoke to), service intervals don’t need to be on such a short 9 or even 12 months interval when a vehicle is driven but some thousand kms a year. They can probably be safely stretched to 24 months with no added failures seen by Holden.

Heck, even brake systems these days are better protected from moisture ingress though improved design and materials than they ever were while iiuc dot 4 fluids are much better than the older dot 3 fluids. Even so, old 70 vehicles got their brake fluid flush every few years. And let’s not forget, some manufacturers (not Holden) specify dot 5 which is silicone based and not impacted by moisture ingress at all so the6 should be able to go longer than a few years between flushing. Meanwhile bolts don’t loosen while a car is sitting unused so the biggest problem i see is battery sulphating due to voltage dropping too much (which many on this site have said it’s easy to cope with so not a problem in reality). Then there is the issue of tyres getting out of round through non use which can be easily sorted by the owner without dealer servicing. In any case, batteries and tyres are consumable as far as warranty is concerned so aren’t a cost to Holden.

As such I’d call bullsh!t on Holden’s short 9 or even 12 month for vehicles doing a few thousand kms. It’s just a ploy to push business through the dealers to keep them profitable and on side, not warranty related. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they look at kms travelled since last service and then check the colour of the oil and if everything looks fine not even change it but charge... adds to their margins so a win for them at owners expense.

As I said I think we have a difference of opinion but i’ll begrudgingly continue to service my low mileage vehicle according to Holdens schedule while it’s under warranty, then i’ll self service once the 7 years are up.
They do allow that to extend to 12 months but you'll be caught on the next service as it it will be 9 months from the service limit. I know that because my car was serviced on the year limit and next service deadline will be 9 months after that date. The same for my SS but I service that in between with my own mechanic.
I think you are wrong on this one. The service interval is 9 month and can be stretched by 90 days (12 months total). Once serviced, the time/distance interval starts all over again so the next service is due in 9 months and can again be stretched another 90 days. Both dealer and HCC have confirmed this to me verbally but may be I should get it in writing as I guess you’ve been told something different.

Last edited: