Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change FE2 to FE3 in SSV

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Hi - I can't get the full detail from searching, hence the post.
Looking to change suspension as title, but I see that sway bars are different from standard SSV to Redline spec. My car has 24mm front, 12mm rear bars per standard (SSV is same as my SV6). I see that Redline is 26/28 (or less in VF2).
Am i correct in saying that if I changed the shocks, springs and did not change the sway bars (the front looks like a complete PITA to change out) then it looks like I would have an "under swaybared" car which would understeer more than true FE3 and I would probably be disappointed with the result. I have driven FE3 so have some point of reference.
Thanks for advice.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It wouldn’t be as ‘flat’ when cornering.
Whether you’d be disappointed is a different thing.
I’d have a squiz at what they did for VF2 & what hardware needs changing, because less aggressive suspension means fewer internal rattles, and the VF2 handles better to boot.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Mate are you sure the FE3 is 26/28? When that was published there was some mention that it is possibly incorrect.
I assume OP wants to know for a sedan with FE3 suspension, (Utes and SportWagons are different).
For comparison sake, the FE2 suspension on VE / VF V8 front sway is 23mm, rear is 18mm for sedans.

26mm front (+3) sorta sounds right as the most popular aftermarket upgrade is that size, but I've never been able to confirm that there was actually any difference to FE2... where did you get that FE3 front is 26mm from?
20mm rear (+2), not 28mm.

Thanks for that Davison, that's the only mention I've seen which quotes FE3 with 28mm rear. I doubt its veracity as that bar size would be 55% larger than FE2 and 40% larger than the FE3's oft-quoted 20mm. Also given the cube root formula above, 28mm (+18) would make it not just marginally stiffer as in %age increment but like several orders of magnitude as in times stiffer.
Seems ridiculous, bigger isn't better (possibly I'm making excuses for my bar size/stiffness) however my VE SSV is spec'd with exact same power and rear track, and being a SII Sportwagon also received a model-specific revision to the standard SSV FE2 bar dia on rear... it went from 14mm to 12mm and spring rate changed to SLHD.
18mm to 28mm is incredible, would make it handle very differently?

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv
Measured a family members 17 redline sway bar size last week with vernier calipers
Front 26mm
Rear 25mm

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yeah, the VF2 was 25mm rear. But connected to a different link point to the VF. The VF Redline was 26mm front and 28mm rear.

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv
Yep rear sway mounted to the outside of the spring instead of to the inside. Same springs shocks tuned different and much less body roll compared to fe2

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
This may not come up for another four years so am interested to understand the suspension spec SS model variant evolution from
VE->VEII->VF->VFII (rows)
— Front and rear —
Springs | Shock | Sway

Part #s would put paid to heresay, reckon this can happen?

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
This may not come up for another four years so am interested to understand the suspension spec SS model variant evolution from
VE->VEII->VF->VFII (rows)
— Front and rear —
Springs | Shock | Sway

Part #s would put paid to heresay, reckon this can happen?
Yes if anyone knows the answer to this, it would make a great FAQ. I remember at the time of the VFII launch that at least one review said the VFII was easier to live with on the road, but not as quick around a track with the revised suspension?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yes if anyone knows the answer to this, it would make a great FAQ. I remember at the time of the VFII launch that at least one review said the VFII was easier to live with on the road, but not as quick around a track with the revised suspension?
Yeah I've seen the same about the rear passegers ride being easier to live with. I don't recall reading or hearing it wouldn't be as quick around a track, but that's journo nonsense.
For what it's worth, I own a VF Redline and an MSE. My Son has a VE Redline Sportwagon. I have also driven a few VF2 Redline sedans. In my experience:
My VF Redline has a more compliant ride an handles better than the VE Redline Sportwagon. My VF Redline springs have settled a lot since new. It looks lowered and has more bodyroll, yet still handles great. It is softer than VF2 now, but may have been similar when new. The VF2 Redline handles better than the VF Redline. Ride is perhaps a little firm. The Motorsport with MRC trumps them all in handling and ride comfort, depending on mode. Except the VF Redline. It has the most comfortable ride of them all.
@wetwork65 I think you answered your own question mate. Upgading shocks and springs, but leaving standard sway bars, would give an improvement. But it would be less of an improvemet than If you changed out the bars too.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Interesting that you’re feeling a more comfortable ride in VF than VF2; Holden’s claims for VF2 were not only different attachment points for gubbins at the rear, but that the less stiff suspension resulted in better ride as well as better handling & roadholding (albeit with more bodyroll).

I’ve not seen anything about differing springs or shocks for wagon vs sedan; pretty sure (although not 100%) they’re the same.