Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change of direction for Holden

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Read it this morning
Don't like him

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk II.IV.X

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Wasn't this brought up when the Libs turned around and said they would cut funding if elected

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Holden just needs to close its doors in Australia once the VF has run its course. This whole bull **** with the government giving them cash handouts is ridiculous. The country is in a huge amount of debt ffs so why should we have to fork out cash just to delay the inevitable?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
But it's always been this way, personally I would rather Holden's future subsidy than the myriad daft schemes already implemented on the Greens agenda.
Apart from that it would herald for many a slippery industrial decline akin to Thatcherism.
I agree with your timing though, let the flagship model developed here run its course at least.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Holden just needs to close its doors in Australia once the VF has run its course. This whole bull **** with the government giving them cash handouts is ridiculous. The country is in a huge amount of debt ffs so why should we have to fork out cash just to delay the inevitable?

Industry is always subsidised, calling them cash handouts and targeting Holden is unfair and wrong. ALL businesses rely on govt funding.

str8vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY

The figure may seem huge, but it is not that big compared to the size of our economy.
Unless of course you believe in the scare campaign run by the Liberals. Not that they have to do anything but sit back and watch Labor implode at the moment.

unregistered

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 S2

Its not that uncommon for auto industry to be subsidized by the government. It happens all over the world.
Don't forget mining gets its fair share of government funds too, no one cares about that.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
RANT ALERT: I wouldn't respect a Commie the same if most parts were made in China, but I suspect the Chinese Commodore is coming.
What does it take to qualify it as being an Australian product (and therefore subsidised) anyway? Why don't we currently assemble Commies here using Chinese parts and Mexican engines?
Sure we have a local manufacturing sector engaged in parts supply to GM for the Zeta (VE/VF/WM/WN) platform designed and developed here, but I suspect Australia doesn't have adequate volume for local parts suppliers to compete with China's parts factories.
Despite the Australian public footing the cost of development in taxpayer subsidy for Zeta, GM considers our rights if any to be non-exclusive, as GM is already off to a flying start with Zeta parts manufacture in China. These politically laundered versions of Holden cars (Buick Park Avenue) are selling like hot red-bean cakes to the PLA's nouveau riche. Where there's demand, and economies of scale, it stands to reason that 'inexpensive' Chinese parts would make the proposition of manufacturing a Commie locally more profitable for GM here as well?
It will be interesting (yet fricken frustrating) to watch how GM manufactures the spin of blame as local production of Zeta finishes and (third world produced) Zeta takes its place. Wizard of Id: The King is Dead, Long Live the King! Least we can expect cheaper spares.
Personally I think it is a tragedy to lose the Commie to the commies, and our billion dollar baby is euthanised, then rebirthed as 'Zeta II' as pre-ordained by the suits at GM. According to Wikipedia the 'real' US RWD home-grown revival will begin 2015-16.