Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change pwr mode bulb

Klajd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
I ordered a blue bulb but literally there is nothing out there about this. I don't know how to reach the bulb. Do I have have pull apart the centre console or what?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yes. It needs extensive work to get to it. As far as I’m aware it’s an LED. I could be wrong, I might have a look later.
it can be hard to remove the shifter trim without breaking it.
I’ll go through my photos.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
1618983113197.jpeg

Can’t recall if you’d get to it from underneath. You can get to the selector light without having to disassemble the whole lot. The black trim here was really brittle on the clips on the side.

Klajd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Yes. It needs extensive work to get to it. As far as I’m aware it’s an LED. I could be wrong, I might have a look later.
it can be hard to remove the shifter trim without breaking it.
I’ll go through my photos.
Yeah i pulled off the centre console and then unscrewed the screws holding in the trim around the gearstick but i need to take off the trim connecting the centre console storage which is gonna be a pain and im hoping there is an easier way.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Keep going. Much more to do.
Easy way is to break everything and swap the globe or not replace the globe.

Klajd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Keep going. Much more to do.
Easy way is to break everything and swap the globe or not replace the globe.
Yeah i may as well continue itll be better for the future to have some experience messing with centre console.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You don’t remove the compartment under the stereo. That stays. There’s a screw on the back under it. Right side. Then the centre trim pops out.
disconnect the window switch. Take care. Use a nylon trim tool to jimmy up the trim from the centre console bin. Tilt it upward. Then out once the screw is removed.
If you remove the actual center console assembly, then yes, some of the centre facia has to come out, well, most of it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, the T5 bulb is in the side of the switch. To get to the switch, you have to remove the switch from the shifter assembly. to get to that, remove trim panel which houses the window switch. Then the panel around top cover on the top of the dash part above the vents. Then the screws holding the trim around the stereo can be accessed. Then the whole floor console can be removed. Screws at the back corners near the floor, some around the leading top edges of it. Two nuts in the bottom of the console bin.

To remove the shifter, there's a small screw on the back of the shifter facing away from you. There are screws holding it all down to the floor also. Take care doing this because there is breakable stuff. Once the shifter trim is removed you need to separate it. thats where the fragile trim clips are on the sides. Heat them with a heat gun or hair drier to soften them a little so they aren't so brittle. Use nylon trim tools to do the separating. Screw drivers will damage the trims. The boot is super fragile too. There's little pins that hold it in. They break so easy. You'll be annoyed when they do. So slow and steady.
Then you can release the switches from the trim by clips on the underside.
replace all the globes! You don't want to do this again. I cleaned all the assembly at the same time. New grease (would use silicone paste now instead of bearing grease (used from factory). My Cross 8 thread has some pictures you can use as a guide.