Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change radiator in vn and winding noise problem

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Hi my I have a series 1 vn and them bottle things that you put the water/ coolant in keeps getting splits...
I have a vr radiator and cooling system would it be possible to put that in? Since the radiator has a cap? And I can get rid of that useless bottle that keeps breaking. Also the car winds really bad? Sounds supercharged, does it in nutrall with the clutch disengaged and when driving any ideas what that could be?
Cheers!!

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
useless bottle is an expansion chamber for catching coolant from the engine should the cap let any out due to overtemp/pressure, once it cools or drops it sucks it back so you do need it
where is the noise from, it could be pulleys or tensioner, belt, alt bearing, waterpump (you seem to be having coolant type issues)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The noise will be the input shaft bearing. Does it whine (even slightly) when you're driving in every gear but 4th?

What do you mean the vr one has a cap? So does a VN one? They should be the same. The overflow bottle is just in a different spot.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
You will have to modify the entire cooling system quite alot to use a later radiator.
The s1 vn's continually cycle coolant through the res bottle and bleed air from the system automatically, there is a thread around here somewhere that someone did a lot of mods to make this work, or find a newer model bottle that isn't as old and brittle as all the 88-91 vn ones that are at the wreckers (falcon and gen III commodores use this type of cooling system but guessing either is going to be a nightmare to try and fit in)

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
It's a surge tank on this motor and it under the same pressure as the cooling system.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Can you still buy the surge tank new from Holden? I'd just go buy a new one and it will probably outlast the rest of the car.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Geez,i've had 3 S-1 VN's over the years and all had aftermarket Radiators with Caps fitted with a hose going to the unpressurised reservoir plastic tank(plastic push cap) of the later models fitted to the air cleaner side of the engine bay.The original pressurised surge tank ends up in the bin.
My current VN S-1 Wagon had this set up and not a problem the 15 years i've had it,and that included lots of K's in Sydney traffic.
I'm obviously missing something as regards the problem.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I'd say you should be buying a lotto ticket for every possible draw :p
There's a high risk of trapping air in the heads/manifold just whacking a newer radiator in and not having any sort of bleeding system to remove air the air, more of an issue with alloy heads, atleast the old cast iron ones are fairly forgiving.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
No,you use the old method thats been around for years,after replacing the Radiator or Coolant,turn on heater tap and run Engine until hot with the Radiator cap off to let air out,a few revs every so often doesn't hurt.When cool(next day) take cap off and top up radiator.
My first VN S-1 was an 89 model and the radiator started leaking,it was barely out of warranty,from the side tank on a trip from Sydney to Gold Coast.Stopped for fuel at Ballina and attendant told me water was dripping out under the front,took it to the local radiator place and they fitted a Radiator with cap and a hose to a windscreen type water container he fitted on the LHS of the engine bay.He wasn't impressed with the standard radiator/surge tank set up and said the VN radiators all end up leaking from the plastic side tanks but said he didn't mind as it was regular business for himself .Not sure what method he used to get the air out but all he said when we picked the car up was to take cap off and top up Radiator when it cooled down.
Ok,probaly not approved by GM but it saves a lot of hassles,should be point out my current,1990,wagon has a series 2 motor in it and has had 2 Radiators in it using the above method but don't follow my advice if your not sure,just fit a new surge tank,keeps the car original too which is good.

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Thanks for the replys I think I might try find a new bottle that won't break. As for the winding noise it does it all the time does not matter what gear I'm in