Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

change steering wheel vy11

revs64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2 WAGON V6
how do i go about changing steering wheel on my vy,brought: leather one looks better than the standard exc wheel.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
This is fun.

Disconnect battery
Get yourself a small flat bladed screw driver and in behind the air bag are four holes. In those four hole are metal clips.
You need to unclip one and you will see that corner of the air bag pop off a little then hold that corner of the air bag off the wheel.
Continue to the next one, pop it off then hole that whole side of the air bag off the wheel then same for other side. When your at the last clip the whole air bag should just pop off.
I am un sure if there is an eaiser way to do this but that way I did it above was a you know what. One thing is I found it eaiser up side down.

There is one big plug holding the air bag on so disconnect that and the air bag is free.
Disconnect the radio controls and the screw with the neg wire on it.
You then need a 30mm socket. I would not use an adjustable in case it slipped. Undo that bolt, it's tight. Once it's off wiggle the wheel and it should pull off the spline.
Make note of the direction as you don't want to put the new one on wrong.

Now one thing, when I put my wheel on there was a funny plastic grinding sound coming from in behind the wheel, kept driving thinking new wheel so it needs to where it, wrong.
Had to take the wheel off again and what it is there is a plastic ring on the very back where it butts up to the steering console, it was scraping so I took a stanley knife to it and shaved a couple of mm's off it and now it's as quite as a umm well quite thing.
You may want to do it first up just to save pulling the wheel off again or it may not happen at all.

To put back on just reverse the above.

I don't think I have missed any thing let me know if I have.

Hope this helps,,,

Windsurfing.....

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Only thing I can think of is when you put the airbag down, make sure it's fairly level, bag side up (otherwise if it goes off it will get airborn), and make sure no-one goes near it. It's not that they have a bad habit of going off, rather that it's always better to err on the side of caution :thumbsup:

stylsey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYS One Tonner
I wanted to put an aftermarket sports wheel on my own car but isn't it illegal to disconnect a safety device

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh it is illegal to disconect a safety device, iv heard u can do it aslong as you get it enginered so it meets enginering safety requirments, becareful with that black ring behind the wheel, thats ur spiralcasset(what we call it) u don't want to damage this, this turns you indicators of when you turn back etc, so if you put the wheel on in the right position, and the rings moved and your indicators don't turn off properly then that will be y, good luck with anyone that fits a steering wheel, not a hard job if you follow the instructions at top of page, just make sure it all fits properly in correct position and try not to cut that black ring if its the one im thinking it is.

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
I thought it was illegal full stop as you are replacing an air bag steering wheel with a non air bag one. I could be wrong though?