Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

change top strut bush

king_rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0L Berlina wagon
Hey how do I do this. Is there any way of doing this with out spring compressors? Like jacking up and removing control arm so it just drops out?
Also don't know if theyre fkd or not they make a rubbing sound when turning at low speed and a knock over some bumps. If the bearings are stuffed I'll replace em iv'e got some sitting here but the bush... can it just be greased if not perished?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You need spring compressors (unless you are very, very, very strong and have very very very small fingers). There are some cheap ones on eBay but I wouldn't trust them. There are also some quality ones at a reasonable price (I bought one - in fact I bought two). If you were in Melbourne I could have loaned you a set.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
someone nearby might lend you a set. The bushes slowly collapse over a few years of driving because most of the weight of the front end of the car site on them. Get some new ones before you remove the strut, they are cheap anyway.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
You don't need compressors until they are out of the car, when you are removing the strut top from the strut, so the control arm has nothing to do with it. There is also no physical way to get the new top on without them.

I got a pair off eBay for $25, they worked great.

king_rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0L Berlina wagon
You don't need compressors until they are out of the car, when you are removing the strut top from the strut, so the control arm has nothing to do with it. There is also no physical way to get the new top on without them.

I got a pair off eBay for $25, they worked great.

In my repair manual it says you can lift the top bush through the hole in the wheel well once the springs are compressed? True or won't fit through hole? I realise now I need compressors anyway. But not keen on removing complete strut.

dazadude

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais Auto LS1
I was able to get to mine by;

Remove bottom of swaybar link from sway bar (involves jacking up car then jacking up strut assembly).
twist off brake line and abs (if fitted) from strut retainers.
Undo strut top (very top) nut (then lower assembly).
Compress spring until you get access to top nut from wheel well (you can try to access the nut from the top but good luck).
Remove strut top and clean where bearing sits then reverse procedure.

My trouble was that when I removed the strut top, the strut rod slid slowly back down and then I came to the conclusion that the strut(s) were also stuffed. So I had to replace the struts anyway. So the other side was easier with the strut removal straight away. I paid $358 the pair of KYB from bursons.

Good luck...