Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change VY Steering whell

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
This may have been covered before....but I have bought a new steering wheel from NVU in Melbourne.
The leather bound wheel from a S pack to go onto my series 1 Berlina.

Can any one help out with the instructions to do this. Airbag concerns me the most, but the rest may be tricky as well.

Any help thanks.

G

GMH 72

You need a special tool to release the airbag from behind the wheel to get to the main nut to take off the wheel. Holden dealerships have the tool & they may charge you a fee for them to do it for you. The place for the tool is completely hidden and you will not see it unless you have previously taken that wheel off before. Do not pry anything at all because it won't release the airbag & you may just damage the wheel or airbag while trying.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks - had it booked but was trying to save a few bucks. Anyway car is still in guarantee period so best they do it.

Ralph1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SSZ
You can do it your self, I have done mine and a few mates, I have posted these instructions b4 but here they are again.

Steering Wheel.

1.Disconnect the negative terminal on the Battery (important to neutralize airbag)

2.Locate the 4 mounting hole on the back of the steering wheel (2 left, 2 Right), you might have to use a torch to find them for the first time.

3.Using a medium size flat screw driver insert vertically into one of the mounting hole in the back of the steering wheel and twist, at the same time pull on the same corner of the air bag and it will come away slightly, do this on all 4 mounting points and the air bag will come off.

4.Disconnect the red horn plug and the red stereo control plug

5.Disconnect the yellow airbag plug at the airbag, it pulls out with a bit of force.

6.Undo the retaining bolt in the middle of the wheel (make sure that the wheel does NOT have its steering wheel lock on (ie have the key at the on position, nothing will happen with the battery disconnected, but the steering wheel will not lock.)

7.Make sure that the wheel is exactly straight before you remove it.

8.Remove wheel and transfer the stereo controls to the new wheel.

9.Fit new wheel and put a small amount of loctite on the bolt and tighten.

10.Reconnect air bag, horn and stereo controls.

11.Line up retaining clips on the airbag and push firmly on the wheel, they should clip into place and hold the airbag on.

12.Reconnect battery.

13.Take for a test drive and make sure wheel is straight. (Don’t be tempted to test drive with no airbag connected, as you will log an airbag fault, which will have to be removed by Holden.

cheers

Ralph

Plainwhitevy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon Series 2
I did it on mine a while ago.
Also removed the fuse for the air bag prior.

Was really worried about getting airbag face:my: - but no problem.

It is simple and straight forward and doesn't take long.
Like any of this though, unless you are comfortable with the process - pay Mr Dealer to wear the risk.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Ralph1. Done by dealer today $40.
I was happy with the cost - everything works - but don't know about the airbag yet!