Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changed all parts to new, VP running hot?

anth34

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore V6 3.8 S1
Hello,
I have a 92 lexcen vp and about 2 weeks ago with no reason, just started getting hotter?
Once it rises to just over half the fan kicks in and it stays about there then rises to 3 quarters on the high way, doesn't come down below half?
I have changed the thermostat, water pump, radiator, coolant sensor, oxygen sensor, temperature gauge sender, and had the cluster reconditioned.
There is no loss of coolant, coolant has no oil, doesn't use any oil, and not blowing any smoke. No gases in the coolant. no oil leaks, code 12 shown and no errors reported, by proper machine that links up as well.
The car starts first go, runs well, with plenty of power, no misfires.
I have changed all these parts but the car still runs too hot for 2 weeks now?
The only thing that was not right was when I had a mechanic hook up his computer to my car computer that the temperature was -2.3 c then jumped to 84 c it kept jumping up and down, but also said no errors reported , I changed the coolant sensor , followed by the parts listed above.
The car still runs hot. sometimes sits on 3 quarters on the highway.
Can anyone tell me what could be the problem with why my car is running hot?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
If it jumped like that then i would say there is a technical issue with the temp setup
But you say you swapped the dash sender so you would think it to be reading correct then.

Does it actually smell hot. Im sort of leaning towards maybe checking plugs and connctors from the sensor to the ecu, even the ecu plug. Ill leave a link below for you to brows too about the temp sensors.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ons/82863-coolant-temp-sensor-resistance.html

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
you need to get it to someone who can plug it in and get a temp value from the car while running and have a temp gun to check the engine temp aswell.
idleing will be around 95 degrees.
if you can get a temp gun then go to hastings deering and get the little temp indicator stickers and place one or 3 near the sensor.
they come in a wide temp range.
when the sticker gets to a certain temp the window turns black and as it gets hotter the next one changes an so on. temp range would be 80-120

anth34

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore V6 3.8 S1
thanks for the replies.
I did go for a drive, a few days ago which I forgot to mention.
After the temp readings that were up and down on the computer reading that was when I changed the coolant sensor,which didn't fix the problem took it for a drive around the local streets and hit the highway got to 3 quarters temp on the gauge, had it temp gunned while at three quarters. Temp gunned on the thermostat housing top radiator hose and was in the range of 82 c to 92 c by a mechanic, he said it was running normal thermostat was opening up and the fan was kicking in when suppose to.
He said it is looks like the temp gauge is faulty.
I decided to have the temp gauge checked and serviced by a instrument person.
I took the cluster out myself to save $120 fee for removing and installing the cluster.
He checked the voltage on the cluster which was ok and I put it back in the car but the problem of three quarters temp on the gauge still showing, I then changed the temp sender unit, but problem still there?
To check the temp values will cost $65 which I am hoping I can avoid again, rather buy cable and read myself if need be?
No plugs have been mentioned by auto electrician to check or instrument guy?
Auto electrician suggests to test with new computer, which he has spare to test with.
Will test today as it won't cost anything to me to do so.
Can it be a computer problem?

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
possible but if the car is running in the right range like it sounds then like like it is a short to earth on the temp sensor wire.
a short to earth will reduce the risistance which makes the gauge read high.
when cold does it read high still?
try resetting the ecm to.

anth34

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore V6 3.8 S1
I changed the computer today to see but same problem shows, no difference.
When left over night, and I start the car the gauge reads where it should be dead cold but rises to 3 quarters after about 20 minutes and hovers at around 3 quarters on the temp gauge.
The instrument guy insists that the temp gauge is reading correct.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
grag a spare cluster from some one and test it.

anth34

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore V6 3.8 S1
The instrument guy stands by that the gauge is 100% accurate, which he can prove if need be.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
The dash readout has nothing to do with the ecu, as it runs from from the second sender unit pretty much direct to the dash. I would be tempted to run a wire from the temp sender to the input on the dash if you can, just to to test the wiring was ok.
The gauge in the dash may be ok, but there may be a problem in the cluster itself thats causing the meter to read out. Did he test the gauge while it was in the cluster or did he pull it out and test it individually. Just a thught.