Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changed battery, car won't turn over, alarm set off VN

HoldenGirl09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I have a Holden VN and a slight issue with my starter motor so I changed batteries, which resulted in an alarm being set off and now she won't turn over. The alarm is a cheeta brand with a key located in the engine bay, I never have used it. I tried turning the key on the alarm but it doesn't seem to work. The car also has an interlock device but I don't think this is the issue. Not sure if I disconnect the alarm will she start? Alarm also goes off when car bumped etc. Any advice appreciated.

HoldenGirl09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I just realised the wires at the back of the starter motor may have been disturbed but would this set of alarm?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
when anything aftermarket is involved its hard to give advice unless were standing in front of it. no idea how one of those alarms is wired or who installed it. if you dont use it and think its a nuisance get it removed and put the car back to stock. otherwise you might have to call an auto electrician... could be a coincidence about the alarm, maybe your starter motor has just died...

what model vn is it?

Mudgy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
It's simpler to have a flashing LED and a kill switch. Get rid of the alarm. They are a good income source for auto sparkies.... especially when installed by "accessory fitters"
Unless an alarm is going to save you on your premiums, then don't bother with them.
Also, do you have a key switch in the glovebox? This was a shitty quality switch, and many Holdens were towed in to me because of this. (when I used to be an auto elec)

And if it's auto, with a lot of k's, have a look at the inhibitor switch on the auto. Try starting it in neutral. ( a lesser used set of contacts in the switch)

If that doesn't work, it's time to get out the test light, and start probing the starter circuit, from the key, to the inhibitor switch, to the relay, to the starter.