Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changed leads, coils and plugs. Running horrible

Jimoffy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Have a close look at the head for any damage where the #3 plug screws in, especially around the threads and the seating area. It almost looks like pre-combustion gasses may be escaping and are being igniting or burning outside the cylinder... The damage may have been caused by prolonged detonation, by some casting fault that let go when you removed they old plug or by a cross threaded plug. Hopefully it’s not a big issue, just some crud that stops the plug screwing all the way to the plug seat.

Also have a look inside the plug lead and check nothing is bent or damaged otherwise the clip won’t grab the end of the spark plug and the spark energy wont go down the plug as it should which may result in seeing sparks towards the block,... outside the engine.
I re watched video. It does look like it’s combusting, I’m sure it’s just cause the sparks are so bright. I watched it happen like 10 times in real life, I’m sure it’s just very bright sparks

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@krusing ‘s post may be on the money with the sparks coming from the starter motor?

And yes, the video may be misleading but I’d use your phone and turn the flash on and take a video peering down into the spark plug hole... it doesn’t take much to let a small amount of gas out past the plug seat which will upset the engine. If you can first put rag on your finger and wipe the plug seat on the head and then feel the around seat surface with your bare finger, it should be smooth as... the take a video to see things clearly...