Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changed motor & wont start

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
auto to auto, it must be a SIMPLE oversight, Keep us posted!

naked racer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore
hey guys sorry i took so long to reply ive been working flat out and havent had much time to do anything else

now that work has slowed down a bit i had a chance to look at my car and i found that the fuel pump was stuffed and it had no spark so i got a fuel pump and CAS from a wreckers

now it has good spark and its getting fuel i made sure the hoses are on the right way aswell but it still WONT START

muffman001

Reaction score
Website
nfateam.informe.com
Members Ride
VL Berlina soon to be turbo'd
vl

i had sim problem when i replaced my wireing loom, had spark and fuel, turned out to be
the grounds on the drivers side of the block not getting good contact also timing was 180
degrees out does it sound like it wants to fire then dies and so on? bit more info on what
else you have tryed would be nice

but yea check for broken/cracked hoses good grounds/connections, spray some contact
cleaner on connections reset ecu recheck codes, try your old ecu , recheck timing,
replace the relays fuses out of old car that ran , maby replace the + temanal lead in
wireing loom has a resistor in it or what ever its called check the afm hasnt broken its
thin wire inside , check afm omhs with multymeater,voltage from cas, could be many other things to check

but im typing with the on screen
keybord and it sucks lol good luck n let us know ur progress they helped me start my vl
here , between all of us im sure we can diagnose ur vls probs with a bit more info

naked racer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore
faulty CAS, fixed that
faulty fuel pump, fixed that
it doesnt sound like it wants to start at all the motor just keeps turning and turning
and i took the gas tank out because it was out of date but the wires are still connected not sure if that could have something to do with it

i should probly tell you guys that the old fuel pump had dark petrol with heaps of metal shavings in it aswell
thats all i have tryed so far but ill be putting other things aside so i can get more things done on this friggen bitch!..
im not working 2moro so ill get around to doing most of the things the "muff" has mentioned haha

thanks muffman and everyone else ill keep you posted daily this time

naked racer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore
today i found out it has no injector pulse and a fuse was missing on a wire that comes out of the wiring loom that is connected to a relay near the drivers side head light
but i couldnt see if that was the problem because before i even seen it it was missing
my brother tryed putting some petrol in through the throttle body and seeing if it starts

but now the starter motor just clicks and doesnt turn the motor
my brother said it is just vapour locked but i am not a machanic so i cant tell the difference
also checked all the grounds for bad connections and hoses for leaks and it all seems ok

is there a relay for the injectors and is it near the drivers side headlight?
either way its for something and needs another fuse

aussie_macca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Road trawling paddock bomb = moody VL
if it was on dual fuel did you just take out the changeover switch and not do anything with the wires from the back (i think one says power one says gas one says fuel and the other is earth)?

naked racer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore
i only took out the gas tank and left the rest of the wires the way they were but my brother was playing around with them yesturday and disconnected the positive wire from the battery

naked racer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore
i got the car started for about 10 seconds because of the petrol my brother put in the throttle body but after that it wouldnt even try to start

he said that my injectors arent working because the gas was disconnected and the ecu cant tell the injectors to turn on and pulsate or something like that

is he rite and if so how do i go about fixing it? should i take out all of the gas wires?

just thought id ask here and see if anyone knows before i take it to and electrician

Last edited:

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
rb30det VL wagon project, VL series 200
those error codes you gave is what you are meant to get when you start a diagnostic. you then have to cancel them by depressing the accellerator pedal, turning the aircon on and off, shifting from park to neutal back into park then start car and drive over 10kph and recheck codes. your problem is probably doesnt have a code though. mine did the same thing. hold the ignition on so u can hear the pump priming then spray some aerosol spray up the intake then quickly put it back together and turn the key. making sure the afm is connected properly. thats what worked for me. give it a couple of goes and if it starts leave it running for a bit.

naked racer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore
nah its definately the injectors i just took the fuel rail off with the injectors still on it and tryed to start it and no petrol came out then i took the injectors off the fuel rail and tryd to start it and petrol was coming out so i think its got something to do with the gas wires

would a new wiring loom fix this?

i was doing what you said all day yesturday but with petrol and it just kept stalling as soon as the petrol ran out

Last edited: