Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing 09 VE headlight globes

Maffmak

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve
Got a new set of headlight globes the other day and the bloke at supercheap could not help me with putting them in.

My main problem is with the clip/tang/spring part that sits behind the globe to keep it in..

When trying to change the globes I read on a forum on here about loosening one of the screws so that the clip was set free. I did this on both sides and now am unable to get the clip back in the right place to secure the new bulbs.

Can anyone give us a hand with some pictures or how to fit it correctly?

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
You shouldnt have to undo any screws, where did you get that info from?

The latch is spring loaded and sits under the little hook as seen in numeric's pictures.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I have grown to hate the H7 bulbs - I have had to replace three in three years.

First thing, as Numeric & SSV point out, you don't have to undo any screws. God only knows how you'll get them back where they belong ...

The bulb is held in by a sprung lever, that is hinged at one end, and sits under a hook at the other.
There isn't much room for fingers down there, and it is only possible to eye-ball about 1% of the work-space.
The diagrams in the Owner's Manual were very little help to me.
So, the first time I had to replace a bulb, I was "blind", and it took a while for my imagination to create a mental image of what I was trying to achieve.
I acquired a spare complete headlight unit: and I now look at that while my knuckles bleed.
So, if you can't get one to look at, study Numeric's pics.

Work out which end of the lever is the hinge, and the other end is where your fingers will be working.
You have to free the end of the lever from under the hook: push it "in"; move it around the hook; and then swing it away.
The bulb will come out easily. Note which way is "up" as you remove it.

Next, insert new bulb - a potential problem is if the lever swings back in your way before the new bulb is home.
the bulb will go in upside-down - not easily - but when you come to re-focus it, you'll realize that something is awry, and you have to remove & re-insert the bulb.
Removing a bulb which is jammed-in the wrong way is even more difficult than removing one which seated correctly.
Once the bulb is in the correct place, and correctly oriented, the you swing the lever back to where it belongs, and move the spring so that it is retained under the hook.
The tension of the spring/lever is what holds the bulb in place.

Job done !

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE (Factory) LPG Berlina
Bumping an old thread as I had cause to do this the other day. Shorty 33's post above is spot on but here's a couple of extra things you might find helpful. I can only speak about the driver side low beam headlight globe replacement, which was what the original OP requested.

First good tips re access etc were from this Youtube;

I took a couple of photos which should assist;

1) Globe in but with wiring plug pulled off;
WP_20180714_12_43_05_Pro_zpsshmnfpur.jpg

2) Globe out;
WP_20180714_12_37_49_Pro_zpspheqcihc.jpg

Bottom line – with the above tips it really wasn't that hard.

Last edited:

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I remember when I first did headlight bulbs without looking online and I took that darn screw out too ! God it was a headache to put back on !

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Bumping an old thread as I had cause to do this the other day. Shorty 33's post above is spot on but here's a couple of extra things you might find helpful. I can only speak about the driver side low beam headlight globe replacement, which was what the original OP requested.

First good tips re access etc were from this Youtube;

I took a couple of photos which should assist;

1) Globe in but with wiring plug pulled off;
WP_20180714_12_43_05_Pro_zpsshmnfpur.jpg

2) Globe out;
WP_20180714_12_37_49_Pro_zpspheqcihc.jpg

Bottom line – with the above tips it really wasn't that hard.
Thanks for the pics mate.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
I remember when I first did headlight bulbs without looking online and I took that darn screw out too ! God it was a headache to put back on !
I did the same thing but was swapping over to projectors, at least the headlights were out of the car!

knight9701

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Just finished this shite’ task
Clip is a pest but don’t take the screws out every person recommends tab up ?
Small hands an advantage
Man hands expect some cuts ....

Edz6litrestato

Reaction score
Members Ride
wm statesman 6 litre
I have 2007 WM (VEI) 6 litre Stato with projector lights and my clips look nothing like the ones in the photo above. Mine do not have a spring clip, they have a little rotating clip which is weird because you can't orientate the large tang down as suggested (see pics below). I removed the front bar after an hour of frustration with changing bulbs as I was fitting LEDs. BTW, the LEDs are an amazing upgrade, very white lit with clean cutoff, but I did fit genuine $300 Phillips ones which I got for half price. You can see that the plug is different as well?
IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG