Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing a headlight VESSV Series 2.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I want to start this post by saying, I know how to change a headlight globe. I have done it countless times in my VX, VU, even in my partner's old Mazda 2 that required the car to be on stands as you had to take the inner gaurd out of the front to get to the parker.

But on my VE access seem to be the problem. I have tried searching but an getting a lot of different opinions. some people say take the front bar off, others say those people are stupid and you just reach in and change them.

I've been out fiddling with my car with much success on either side so far. I tried removing the airbox from the passengers side, but one of the tabs where the bottom half on the airbox is obstructed by the positive terminal above it. on the drivers side I removed the coolant overflow filler (People say that's all you need to do), but I can't see how any adult male could possibly get a hand into the area without removing the fuse box (which I imagine is a prick to do).

Has anyone (who has actually done it before) got any tips? Or am I taking the front bar off in the near future?

Attachments

• 2017-02-02 14.03.40.jpg
    2017-02-02 14.03.40.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 2017-02-02 14.03.53.jpg
    2017-02-02 14.03.53.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 99

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If you are finding access difficult, try removing the inner guards and coming in through the wheel well.
You don't have to completely remove the airbox, leave it on the rear mount, and just rotate it out of the way.
I can change the globes on both sides just removing the filler neck of the coolant bottle.
The front bar only needs to come off if you want to remove the head light units.

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
I want to start this post by saying, I know how to change a headlight globe. I have done it countless times in my VX, VU, even in my partner's old Mazda 2 that required the car to be on stands as you had to take the inner gaurd out of the front to get to the parker.

But on my VE access seem to be the problem. I have tried searching but an getting a lot of different opinions. some people say take the front bar off, others say those people are stupid and you just reach in and change them.

I've been out fiddling with my car with much success on either side so far. I tried removing the airbox from the passengers side, but one of the tabs where the bottom half on the airbox is obstructed by the positive terminal above it. on the drivers side I removed the coolant overflow filler (People say that's all you need to do), but I can't see how any adult male could possibly get a hand into the area without removing the fuse box (which I imagine is a prick to do).

Has anyone (who has actually done it before) got any tips? Or am I taking the front bar off in the near future?
Yep they are a bit of a p@#$% to change
Don't lose the plastic cover down the well like mine did.
I had to just remove the bottom black plastic thingo to get it back.
Remove the overflow tube as was said and you can just fit your hand in
The clip on the low beam globe can be a bit fiddly though and make sure the globes go in the right way up
Same for the left globes after you just remove the air filter cover and loosen the base just enough to fit your hand in.
It's fiddly but it can be done
Good Luck.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Yep they are a bit of a p@#$% to change
Don't lose the plastic cover down the well like mine did.
I had to just remove the bottom black plastic thingo to get it back.
Remove the overflow tube as was said and you can just fit your hand in
The clip on the low beam globe can be a bit fiddly though and make sure the globes go in the right way up
Same for the left globes after you just remove the air filter cover and loosen the base just enough to fit your hand in.
It's fiddly but it can be done
Good Luck.

I'll have to try again. I removed the overflow but it still felt way too tight.

mitchy_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Senator SV08
interestingly i can change all bulbs on my S2 Omega with no issues, however on my S1 Senator the drivers side i have to go through the inner guard. there must be fuse box differences between some of the models... i've not really bothered to compare bays though.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
All cars should have headlights mounted like my Volvo. very quick to change and very safe.