Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing a steering wheel on a ve

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The hardest part is getting the Horn/Airbag Pad off,
And be carefull of the airbag & Horn connector.

But most importantly,
"Disconnect the Battery" before you start.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
And make sure it’s a legal wheel.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d also say disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Pull the Airbag fuse and switch on lights and what ever you can to drain capacitors. Leave it for 20-30mins. Then do the work.

You need the front of the car jacked up so you can turn the wheel. You need to do that to release the airbag. Be super careful. If it goes off, it can kill you. Straight up kill you. So make sure you did the first things.

Gently disconnect the various plugs for the airbags etc.

The wheel is held on with a torx head bolt. Undo it some of the way, but not all. You might need a puller to free the wheel. The nut not being all the way out will stop it from smacking you in the face.

You also need to mark the wheels orientation to the column. If you put it back on just one spline out, you’ll notice it for sure.

You need to torque the bolt when replacing the wheel, so a torque wrench is highly advisable.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The back of the steering wheel cover has some release points accessible with a wide flat blade screw driver. To access them, you need to be able to turn the wheel easy, that’s why the front of the car needs to be jacked up.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I’d also say disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Pull the Airbag fuse and switch on lights and what ever you can to drain capacitors. Leave it for 20-30mins. Then do the work.

You need the front of the car jacked up so you can turn the wheel. You need to do that to release the airbag. Be super careful. If it goes off, it can kill you. Straight up kill you. So make sure you did the first things.

Gently disconnect the various plugs for the airbags etc.

The wheel is held on with a torx head bolt. Undo it some of the way, but not all. You might need a puller to free the wheel. The nut not being all the way out will stop it from smacking you in the face.

You also need to mark the wheels orientation to the column. If you put it back on just one spline out, you’ll notice it for sure.

You need to torque the bolt when replacing the wheel, so a torque wrench is highly advisable.
I know your advice is excellent, but may I offer an alternative? LEAVE THE OLD FECKING STEERING WHEEL ON!!!!

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I was also going to ask,
Why are you changing the Steering Wheel anyway ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't they wear out the leather? Or does V6 not have the cheap leather wheel like a Base SS has?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Don't they wear out the leather? Or does V6 not have the cheap leather wheel like a Base SS has?
Replaced mine with a new wheel because the leather was stuffed. Worked out cheaper than getting someone to retrim it.